Is a Router Enough Without XP's Firewall?

• Thread starter Metallicbeing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Router
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a firewall on a computer running Windows XP Pro with SP2, and whether it is necessary if a router is already in use. It is mentioned that a router will not forward incoming traffic unless it is initiated by the user, so a local firewall may not be needed for inbound protection. However, it is still recommended to have a firewall on the computer to prevent reverse-connect trojans and other malicious programs from sending data. It is also mentioned that the original XP SP2 firewall may not have outbound protection. The conversation ends with a question about how AO is doing.
Metallicbeing
I'm running Windows XP Pro w/ SP2. The so called "firewall" has slowed my broadband down considerably. I was told that if I had a router, I didn't need Window XP's "firewall". Is this true?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The router will not forward any incoming traffic to you (unless you set it up to do so) of which you didn't initiate the connection. So no non-email worms attempting to exploit windows bugs will do any harm. So for inbound protection there is no need for a local firewall. You may still want to use a firewall on your computer to avoid reverse-connect trojans for example, where the server actually connects to the client. Spyware or other malicious programs could still send data to whoever wants to receive it.

I have a router, and I don't use a firewall on my computer. In practice, if you are a 'safe user' there is not really a need for a firewall when using a router.
I also don't know whether XP SP2's firewall has got outbound protection, at least the original didn't.

Thanks El-Half.

el-half said:
I have a router, and I don't use a firewall on my computer. In practice, if you are a 'safe user' there is not really a need for a firewall when using a router.
I also don't know whether XP SP2's firewall has got outbound protection, at least the original didn't.

How's AO doing these days? :smile:

Last edited:

1) What is a LinkSys router and what does it do?

A LinkSys router is a type of networking device that connects multiple devices to the internet. It acts as a central hub for all devices in a network, allowing them to communicate with each other and access the internet through a single internet connection.

2) How do I set up a LinkSys router?

The setup process for a LinkSys router can vary depending on the model, but generally involves connecting the router to your modem and then following the instructions provided by the manufacturer. This may include accessing the router's settings through a web browser and entering your internet service provider's information.

3) Can I use a LinkSys router with my existing internet service?

Yes, LinkSys routers are compatible with most internet service providers. However, it is always recommended to check with your internet service provider before purchasing a router to ensure compatibility.

4) How many devices can a LinkSys router support?

The number of devices a LinkSys router can support depends on the model and its specifications. Some routers can support a few dozen devices, while others can support hundreds or even thousands. It is important to check the specifications of the specific router model to determine the maximum number of supported devices.

5) How do I secure my LinkSys router?

To secure your LinkSys router, you can set up a strong password and network name, enable encryption, and disable remote management. You can also limit the number of devices that can connect to your network and regularly update your router's firmware to ensure it has the latest security updates.