1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LinkSys Router Question

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1
    I'm running Windows XP Pro w/ SP2. The so called "firewall" has slowed my broadband down considerably. I was told that if I had a router, I didn't need Window XP's "firewall". Is this true?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2
    The router will not forward any incoming traffic to you (unless you set it up to do so) of which you didn't initiate the connection. So no non-email worms attempting to exploit windows bugs will do any harm. So for inbound protection there is no need for a local firewall. You may still want to use a firewall on your computer to avoid reverse-connect trojans for example, where the server actually connects to the client. Spyware or other malicious programs could still send data to whoever wants to receive it.

I have a router, and I don't use a firewall on my computer. In practice, if you are a 'safe user' there is not really a need for a firewall when using a router.
    I also don't know whether XP SP2's firewall has got outbound protection, at least the original didn't.

4. Mar 12, 2005 #3
    Thanks El-Half.

5. Mar 13, 2005 #4
    How's AO doing these days? :smile:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?