Looking for a NAS: Mac/PC Compatible?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the user's interest in purchasing a specific product for NAS (network attached storage). They ask for others' experiences and inquire about compatibility with Mac and PC. The conversation ends with the suggestion of an alternative NAS product and a support link for the original product.
aychamo
Hey guys;

I'm interested in getting this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-036&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE or http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&scid=43&prid=640

Does anyone have any experience with it? I currently have an old computer with two USB drives attached that I use for NAS, but it's a power hog, huge, loud, etc.

Would this work for both Mac and PC? I assume so.

Thank you
Aychamo

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is a NAS and why do I need one?

A NAS (Network Attached Storage) is a storage device that is connected to a network, allowing multiple devices to access and store data on a central location. It is beneficial for individuals or businesses that need to share and backup large amounts of data across different devices.

2. Can a NAS be used with both Mac and PC?

Yes, there are NAS devices that are compatible with both Mac and PC. However, it is important to check the specifications and compatibility of the specific NAS device before purchasing.

3. What are the advantages of using a Mac/PC compatible NAS?

One of the main advantages is the ability to easily share and access data across different operating systems. This can be helpful for households or offices with both Mac and PC users. Additionally, a NAS can provide a central backup solution for all devices, saving time and effort in backing up each device separately.

4. How do I set up a Mac/PC compatible NAS?

The setup process may vary depending on the specific NAS device, but generally it involves connecting the NAS to the network, installing any necessary software, and configuring the settings. Most NAS devices come with user-friendly interfaces and instructions for easy setup.

5. Are there any security concerns with using a NAS?

As with any networked device, there are potential security risks with using a NAS. However, most NAS devices come with built-in security features such as data encryption and user access controls. It is important to regularly update the NAS firmware and follow recommended security practices to minimize any potential risks.

Back