1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linnearity of DE's

1. Aug 8, 2006 #1
    I have been wondering ever since the first day of my differential equations class what linnearity means intuitively for a differential equation. I remember first being taught that linnearity meant an equation could be put in the form:

y = mx + b

Is the DE definition of linnearity at all related to the agebraic definition or am I getting mixed up by equivocation?

I would also like to get an idea of what various elementary functions look like so that when I read a problem it's not just letters on a page. Any suggestions for how I might best go about doing this?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2006 #2
    I think it refers to the fact that the solutions of "simple" ODEs obey the principle of superposition, i.e. a linear combination of solutions is also a solution.

4. Aug 8, 2006 #3
    Well a linear equation in two variables as you ahve seen in algebra is one of the form

Ax + By = C

And a first order linear differential equation is of the form

p(x)y + q(x)y' = r(x) where p ,q and r are functions of x, then this equation can be said to be linear in the variables y and y', I think I saw it presented this way in the first lecture video for the differential equations course on MIT's opencourseware site.

5. Aug 8, 2006 #4
    Are you asking what the graphs of the elementary functions look like? Or are you asking what the elementary functions are?

6. Aug 8, 2006 #5
    I'm talking about the graphs.

Let's take a simple example of a LDE:
    y' = cos(x)
    A particular solution would be y = sin(x)
    Neither sin(x) nor cos(x) are linear functions according to my understanding. How then can we say that y' = cos(x) is a linear DE?

7. Aug 8, 2006 #6
    Because linearity of a differential equation has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not the solution to that differential equation is linear, I'm not exactly sure how to explain this other than how I did in my first post so hopefully someone will come and answer that better than I did.

8. Aug 8, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Definition of "linear differential equation": there are only linear functions of the dependent variable and its derivatives. In y'= cos(x) the dependent variable is y not x. The only function of a derivative of y is y' itself which is linear (the function f(x)= x is linear).

The basic idea of linear problems in general is that we can "decompose" them- break the problem into parts, solve each part, then reassemble the solutions into a solution to the entire problem.

9. Aug 9, 2006 #8
    Thank you. That clears things up a bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?