Linux Privacy: Advice on Efficiency, Security & Convenience

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, Stallman believes that Debian violates the freedom principle of the Gunu/Linux project by providing a repository of nonfree software.
EngWiPy
I just watched a video to Richard Stallman (you can find it here), in which he says that Ubuntu violates the freedom principle of the Gunu/Linux project, by sending the searches you make on your computer to canonical (I think it is the source of Ubuntu or something), and it includes Amazon products and ads (I see there is an icon to Amazon by default in Ubutnu). I am still new to the Linux system, and have Ubuntu as my distribution, as I figured it is commonly used, and well supported. I do believe that what we do in the digital world is not private and our lives are recorded somewhere for someone to look it up. I think Linux has been trying to stop this. Could anyone comment on this, and give me more advice regarding the Linux system and the distributions in terms of efficiency, security, convenience, ...

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ubuntu stopped the practice of sharing search results with third parties like amazon. You can search for articles online about the controversy.

Just remember there’s no free lunch.

Likes EngWiPy
Ubuntu uses proprietary softwares, which goes against Stallman's Free Software Foundation (FSF)'s philosophy. This foundation holds the name of several GNU/Linux distributions that satisfy the criteria of free software, according to the FSF. And similarly for softwares.

Likes EngWiPy
fluidistic said:
...This foundation holds the name of several GNU/Linux distributions that satisfy the criteria of free software, according to the FSF...

Could you give some examples? Is Debian one of them?

Have a look at https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html. I know several people who use Parabola (it's based on Arch Linux, a poplar distro). Debian is not one of them. Here's what Stallman wrote about Debian:

RMS said:
Debian's Social Contract states the goal of making Debian entirely free software, and Debian conscientiously keeps nonfree software out of the official Debian system. However, Debian also provides a repository of nonfree software. According to the project, this software is “not part of the Debian system,” but the repository is hosted on many of the project's main servers, and people can readily find these nonfree packages by browsing Debian's online package database and its wiki.

There is also a “contrib” repository; its packages are free, but some of them exist to load separately distributed proprietary programs. This too is not thoroughly separated from the main Debian distribution.

Previous releases of Debian included nonfree blobs with Linux, the kernel. With the release of Debian 6.0 (“squeeze”) in February 2011, these blobs have been moved out of the main distribution to separate packages in the nonfree repository. However, the problem partly remains: the installer in some cases recommends these nonfree firmware files for the peripherals on the machine.

Debian's wiki includes pages about installing nonfree firmware.

Likes EngWiPy

What is Linux Privacy?

Linux Privacy refers to the measures and techniques used to protect user data and maintain privacy while using a Linux operating system. These measures include security features and practices that are designed to prevent unauthorized access to personal information.

Why is Linux Privacy important?

Linux Privacy is important because it helps protect sensitive user data from being accessed or compromised by hackers, government agencies, or other malicious actors. It also helps maintain user confidentiality and prevent unauthorized tracking or monitoring of online activities.

What are some tips for improving Linux Privacy?

Some tips for improving Linux Privacy include using strong and unique passwords, regularly updating software and security patches, using a virtual private network (VPN) when browsing the internet, and being cautious about sharing personal information online.

Can Linux be completely secure and private?

While Linux is generally considered to be more secure than other operating systems, it is not immune to security threats. With proper precautions and regular updates, it is possible to make Linux relatively secure and private, but complete security and privacy can never be guaranteed.

Are there any drawbacks to focusing on Linux Privacy?

Focusing on Linux Privacy may require some extra effort and time, such as regularly updating security measures and being cautious about sharing personal information online. Additionally, some programs or applications may not be compatible with certain security features, which can limit convenience and accessibility.