Gentoo Linux PC in a Mazda: Amazing Audio & Automobile Control

In summary: It would probably be safer that way anyway. Thank heavens he installed Linux instead of Windows if that's the case!
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
This guy installed a pc with gentoo linux in this mazda:

http://www.timekiller.org/carpc/

Things he could do:

# Listen to music
# Watch videos/movies
# Control audio with steering wheel control. Since the audio is fed into the HU with a P.I.E adapter, the steering wheel is my "master" volume control.
# View Pictures in a slideshow
# Sniff wireless networks and plot them with GPS - I've plotted the APs I've found, and integrated it with Google's Map API, check it out.
# Download and view local Weather info, including 3 day forcast and doplar radar
# Browse the web with Firefox
# Connect to my cell phone with bluetooth, and connect to Verizon's EVDO network
# Stream DirecTV from my house. <- This is my FAVORITE - Basically I am using ssh keys and scripts to connect to my MythTV box at home, change to the channel I want, start vlc, which does on the fly transcoding of the signal, then connects to it from my CarPC. The result is a list of channels in my videos menu, I select the channel I want, and it all happens auto-magically.
# Remote start my car, and connect to it from inside my house. I can SSH in, and transfer files without even getting off my couch :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I cannot respect a man who pimps out an automatic transmission car. Nevertheless, its pretty cool what he did. The thing is, pretty much all of that can be done on a pocket-PC. I just got an HP IPaq with a bluetooth GPS module. I haven't mounted it yet, but I'm going to soon...

Yeah, but can you stream DirecTV to your car? Now that's amazing. All he needs is VOIP.

The sweetest thing is that's the kind of car I own! woot!

dduardo said:
Yeah, but can you stream DirecTV to your car? Now that's amazing.
I'm not sure I understand exactly how he did that, but my IPaq came with software for streaming video from a PC...
All he needs is VOIP.
Well, since he has the net, he's got the capability, even if he hasn't set it up yet.

russ_watters said:
I cannot respect a man who pimps out an automatic transmission car. Nevertheless, its pretty cool what he did. The thing is, pretty much all of that can be done on a pocket-PC. I just got an HP IPaq with a bluetooth GPS module. I haven't mounted it yet, but I'm going to soon...
But with all those gadgets, who has time for shifting gears? :rofl: Did he remember to mount the lit warning sign on the roof of his car? "I'm busy surfing the net, watching TV, talking on the phone, and checking the weather report...GET OUT OF MY WAY!" :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
But with all those gadgets, who has time for shifting gears? :rofl: Did he remember to mount the lit warning sign on the roof of his car? "I'm busy surfing the net, watching TV, talking on the phone, and checking the weather report...GET OUT OF MY WAY!" :biggrin:

You didn't know Linux drives the car for him?

dduardo said:
You didn't know Linux drives the car for him?

:rofl: It would probably be safer that way anyway. Thank heavens he installed Linux instead of Windows if that's the case! :biggrin:

1. What is Gentoo Linux PC in a Mazda?

Gentoo Linux PC in a Mazda is an innovative project that combines the power of Gentoo Linux, a popular open-source operating system, with the functionality of a Mazda car. It allows users to control various aspects of their car, such as audio and navigation, using a customized Linux PC.

2. How does it work?

The project involves installing a Linux PC inside a Mazda car and connecting it to the car's audio and control systems. The Linux PC is programmed with custom software that allows it to communicate with the car's systems and provide a user-friendly interface for controlling them.

3. What are the benefits of Gentoo Linux PC in a Mazda?

The project offers several benefits, such as a highly customizable and user-friendly interface, improved audio and navigation control, and access to a wide range of open-source software. It also allows for easier maintenance and updates compared to traditional car systems.

4. Is Gentoo Linux PC in a Mazda compatible with all Mazda models?

The project is compatible with most Mazda models, but the exact compatibility may vary depending on the specific model and year. It is recommended to consult with the developers or do thorough research before attempting to install it in your Mazda car.

5. Can I install Gentoo Linux PC in a Mazda on my own?

While the project is open-source and can be installed by anyone with the technical knowledge and skills, it is recommended to seek professional assistance to ensure the installation is done correctly and does not cause any damage to the car's systems.

Back