Which Linux Distribution is Right for You?

In summary, this web resource is useful for a new linux user. It provides a list of popular distributions, as well as descriptions of each. Ubuntu is the best match for new users, while Debian is the best for experienced users.
ranger
Gold Member
This is a useful web resource for a new linux user. Just answer a series of questions and suggestions as to which distro is better suited for you will be given:

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Every time I do it, it gives me the names of almost every popular distro, from one CD to five. :biggrin: Nevertheless, it gives an idea to the newbie on what's out there.

We found the following perfect match(es):

Ubuntu
Homepage: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
Screenshots: Click to view screenshots of this distribution
Ubuntu is a free, open source operating system that starts with the breadth of Debian and adds regular releases (every six months), a clear focus on the user and usability (it should "Just Work", TM) and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of support for every release. Ubuntu ships with the latest Gnome release as well as a selection of server and desktop software that makes for a comfortable desktop experience off a single installation CD.

(This distribution also has a "Live CD" you can use to test the distribution before you install it)

Kubuntu
Homepage: http://www.kubuntu.org/
Kubuntu is a user friendly operating system based on KDE, the K Desktop Environment. With a predictable 6 month release cycle and part of the Ubuntu project, Kubuntu is the GNU/Linux distribution for everyone.

(This distribution also has a "Live CD" you can use to test the distribution before you install it)

Debian
Homepage: http://www.debian.org/
Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run. Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes with over 15490 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for easy installation on your machine.
I actually use Umbuntu already, and I have a MAC which has a deb based distribution method (apt-get)
I think the only question it actually used to correlate this was, which distribution method do you perfer, that was a phenomenal waste of time :smile:

If you want some screenshots of the distro to go with it you should try out:

http://shots.osdir.com"

It is really good for screen captures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screen Captures?

The way the windowing system will look has nothing to do with the distribution, and everything to do with the windowing system.

It also shows the menu, the boot menu, the desktop and other useful properties involving the distrobution.

hmm.. says Debian for me. I am using openSUSE.. close enough. haha

it says opensuse isn't free though, i must be missing something:confused:

1. What is a Linux Distribution Chooser?

A Linux Distribution Chooser is an online tool that helps users select a Linux distribution that best suits their needs and preferences. It asks a series of questions about the user's technical knowledge, intended use for the system, and personal preferences to recommend a suitable Linux distribution.

2. How does a Linux Distribution Chooser work?

A Linux Distribution Chooser uses an algorithm to analyze the user's responses to the questions and match them with the features and characteristics of different Linux distributions. It then presents the user with a list of recommended distributions based on the best match.

3. Is a Linux Distribution Chooser accurate?

The accuracy of a Linux Distribution Chooser depends on the quality of the algorithm and the information provided by the user. It is designed to provide helpful recommendations, but it is ultimately up to the user to research and select the best distribution for their needs.

4. Can a Linux Distribution Chooser be used for any type of Linux distribution?

Most Linux Distribution Choosers are designed to work with a wide range of Linux distributions, including popular ones like Ubuntu, Debian, and Red Hat. However, some may be limited to a specific set of distributions.

5. Is a Linux Distribution Chooser only for beginners?

No, a Linux Distribution Chooser can be useful for beginners as well as experienced users. Beginners can use it to find a user-friendly distribution that is easy to learn, while experienced users can use it to find a distribution that aligns with their specific needs and preferences.