Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linux Download

1. May 14, 2004 #1
    Hey does anyone know if i can download Linux full version from the net or is it neccesary to buy the CD ? :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2004 #2
    The best thing about Open source is it's free. You can download it here
  4. May 14, 2004 #3
    Thanks alot ,
    do you recommend it?
  5. May 14, 2004 #4
    I honestly don't, unless you want to learn more about your computer.

If you're a total newbie then I suggest picking up a book with the CD on it although that will set you about $ 50 or
    try the Knoppix distribution which you can boot from the CD.
  6. May 14, 2004 #5
    but as a newbie redhat would also be good. and RBS 5 i can see that you are new to the opensource community, you will love it. as for me it saves me money.
  7. May 14, 2004 #6
    Thanks alot guys ..
    im starting to love this forum , so helpful. :)
  8. May 14, 2004 #7
  9. May 14, 2004 #8
    Thanks but I already started downloading redhat =)
  10. May 19, 2004 #9
    Nooooo..... Redhat (A.K.A Fedora) sucks. I use it and knoppix. Knoppix is much more user friendly. Redhat does not come with any goodies, like mp3 support, java plug-ins, and Media players, just to name a few. Knoppix is much better. To install some software on Redhat you have to hunt down RPM's which is very easy, but with knoppix all you have to do is type "apt-get install (whatever program)" You can also try it before you install it without any worries. It will run in memory and will not write info on to you hard drive.
  11. May 24, 2004 #10
    I'm a newbie to Linux and am using Red Hat 9.. I like it, and no doubt others prefer different distributions, but it works, it is good, and it was free!!
  12. May 24, 2004 #11
  13. May 25, 2004 #12
    everyone has their own opinion and clearly you like the easy way out by using knoppix. knoppix is good but i just recommend it for test-driving linux. Redhat is pretty cool though it is no longer supported.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?