Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linux help

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    Linux help!!!

OK, I finally got my wireless working last night, but when i went to school today, I tried to connect there, no luck.

and when i got home tonight and reset all my settings to what they were when i was connected, i got nothing!!!

anyone know what i can do? i already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I am afraid I will need to do a system restore of some type.

This is irritating me!!! no wonder windows is used on most of the worlds computers!!! it just works!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Are you using the ndiswrapper? If you are did you remember to do:

modprobe ndiswrapper

If you don't want to do this every reboot you should add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules.d/kernel-<whatever version you have>

4. Jan 31, 2006 #3
    I did that, it says its loaded, then i try

ifup wlan0

but i get the message that there is no IP address. I mean, i did the exact same steps last night, and it worked fine.

I might have to do a system restore (?) to last night.

I might have to reinstall, i didn't realize i needed to make a backup file. Unless I can get some tips on what to do here, I am kinda screwed. this is seriously making me wanna quit linux forever if its this hard to use.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  5. Feb 10, 2006 #4
    Hey dont give up on Linux. It has come a long in just the past couple years. Every day it gets better and better. I would strongly urge to use the most user friendly disto of all. Try Mandriva (formerly known as Mandrake) I absolutely love Mandrake. It's so simple and easy to use. I haven't tried Kubunto. But I have had used Redhat 9, Suse 9, Slackware, Knoppix, Debian, Phlack, plus a few others and I must say that I had the easiest time with Mandrake. I know that there are a lot of Mandrake haters out there who complain about Mandrake being for noobies but I really like it and it's always been friendly for me. You can get iso from http://linuxiso.org <---- My fav site

6. Feb 10, 2006 #5
  7. Feb 10, 2006 #6

do the commands following and post the output:

lsmod

iwconfig

iwlist wlan0 scan

ifconfig

edit: Do them as root, not as regular user.

8. Feb 11, 2006 #7
  9. Feb 11, 2006 #8

From a cursory glance, looks like signal issues. But I'm not sure. Thats not all the commands I asked you to run though.

10. Feb 12, 2006 #9
    really? which ones did i miss?

I can run those for you then.

its not a signal issue, I think its an issue within linux, I can't even see my MAC address in linux.

11. Feb 13, 2006 #10

Well, from the output you gave me (which was not eveyrthing I asked for) thats what came to mind. To repeat the list of commands (points at previous post as well):

lsmod

iwconfig

iwlist wlan0 scan

ifconfig

Just run them all and post the output.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?