Minimum system requirements for linux

In summary, the minimum system requirements for Linux are a 15 Mghz processor and 64Mb of RAM, although newer distros may require more. Any system made in the last 10 years should be able to run Linux. The best version is a matter of personal preference, so it is recommended to try out different versions and choose one that suits your needs and preferences. One popular option is Ubuntu Linux.
physicsCU
Linux help!

Basically I am looking to install linux on an older laptop I have. What are the minimum system requirements for linux, how do i install it, and what version (redhat, etc.) is best?

Computer science news on Phys.org
physicsCU said:
Basically I am looking to install linux on an older laptop I have. What are the minimum system requirements for linux, how do i install it, and what version (redhat, etc.) is best?

Minimum requirements:

15 Mghz processor, 64Mb (or less, if you're good) of RAM.

granted no modern distro can do that, but the kernel can. Slackware can install and run on an old 486 though (just one notch above that).

On a more serious note, Any system made in the last 10 years can run Linux just fine. I've got a 266 Mghz pentium II that is more responsive that windows XP on a 996 Mghz machine.

As for the best, that is a matter of religious warfare. Stupid, stupid question to ask. People defend their distro of choice with the ferocity (and lunacy) of religious fundamentalists the world over. Personally, I use Slackware. It suits me. It may not suit you. Try several, find one you really like, whose strengths complement your own when it comes to system administration.

Last edited:
I would try out Ubuntu Linux. It is nice and simple. http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

1. What are minimum system requirements for Linux?

The minimum system requirements for Linux depend on the specific distribution, but generally include a processor with at least 1GHz speed, 1GB of RAM, and 10GB of disk space.

2. Can I run Linux on an older computer?

Yes, Linux is known for its ability to run on a wide range of hardware, including older computers. However, the performance may vary depending on the system specifications.

3. Do I need a dedicated graphics card for Linux?

No, Linux can run on integrated graphics or dedicated graphics cards. However, some distributions may require a dedicated graphics card for certain features or applications.

4. How much disk space is recommended for Linux?

Most Linux distributions recommend at least 20GB of disk space for a comfortable experience. However, this may vary depending on the specific distribution and intended use.

5. Are there any software compatibility issues with Linux?

Linux has a large repository of open-source software and is compatible with many popular applications. However, some proprietary software may not have a Linux version available.