1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linux Help

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    I want to install Red hat Linux 9.0 on my comp.

I have dell gx620, pentium 3.2 ghz 2mb cache, 945g chipset, 1 gb ram, philips cd/dvd reader and writer.

I tried installing it. It asks me for the place where the media where the linux package is stored. When I press on Local CD Rom it always asks me to insert the linux CD when it is already inserted.

How can I get rid of this problem.\?

Thank you for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Why are you installing such a old distro (Redhat 9.0) on such a new computer?

I would go and download Kubuntu since that's what most people like nowadays:

http://www.kubuntu.org/

Kubuntu is going to have the lastest software and have much better hardware support.

4. Oct 3, 2005 #3
    Thank you for the reply.

Kubuntu looks good. I think I'll try it. Should I download the beta 3.5.1 or go with the 3.4.2 version?

BTW, it is compatible with pentium, right?

5. Oct 3, 2005 #4
    yes.

oh and there is also a distro called Ubuntu which you might want to look at as well.

6. Oct 3, 2005 #5
    The Kubuntu page says that it is based on Ubuntu but has support for the KDE desktop too.

7. Oct 3, 2005 #6
    no, it only has support for the kde desktop.

personally, I think that KDE is cluttered and messy. GNOME is much cleaner UI wise.

8. Oct 3, 2005 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

If your used to Windows, KDE is the better choice.

9. Oct 3, 2005 #8
    Alright, major trouble.

I tried installing kubuntu 3.4.2. It boots but when it is on the 'loading additional components' step, it says that it can't read from the cd-rom. I checked the integrity of the cd and it was valid.

What do I do? I can't proceed forward with the installation.

10. Oct 3, 2005 #9
    Can anyone help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?