Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linux Help

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    I want to install Red hat Linux 9.0 on my comp.

I have dell gx620, pentium 3.2 ghz 2mb cache, 945g chipset, 1 gb ram, philips cd/dvd reader and writer.

I tried installing it. It asks me for the place where the media where the linux package is stored. When I press on Local CD Rom it always asks me to insert the linux CD when it is already inserted.

How can I get rid of this problem.\?

Thank you for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Why are you installing such a old distro (Redhat 9.0) on such a new computer?

I would go and download Kubuntu since that's what most people like nowadays:

http://www.kubuntu.org/

Kubuntu is going to have the lastest software and have much better hardware support.

4. Oct 3, 2005 #3
    Thank you for the reply.

Kubuntu looks good. I think I'll try it. Should I download the beta 3.5.1 or go with the 3.4.2 version?

BTW, it is compatible with pentium, right?

5. Oct 3, 2005 #4
    yes.

oh and there is also a distro called Ubuntu which you might want to look at as well.

6. Oct 3, 2005 #5
    The Kubuntu page says that it is based on Ubuntu but has support for the KDE desktop too.

7. Oct 3, 2005 #6
    no, it only has support for the kde desktop.

personally, I think that KDE is cluttered and messy. GNOME is much cleaner UI wise.

8. Oct 3, 2005 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

If your used to Windows, KDE is the better choice.

9. Oct 3, 2005 #8
    Alright, major trouble.

I tried installing kubuntu 3.4.2. It boots but when it is on the 'loading additional components' step, it says that it can't read from the cd-rom. I checked the integrity of the cd and it was valid.

What do I do? I can't proceed forward with the installation.

10. Oct 3, 2005 #9
    Can anyone help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?