Installing Linux on Windows XP AMD 64 - Risks & Setup

In summary: There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as what is best for one person may not be the best for another. However, some general recommendations for Linux distributions include Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, and OpenSUSE.
mattmns said:
When you were configuring your printer you did switch from "generic" to the company of your printer right?

You misunderstand. LPD and CUPS both depend on the printer being Postscript-capable. If it's not, the printer is not supported, regardless.

Computer science news on Phys.org
mattmns said:
When you were configuring your printer you did switch from "generic" to the company of your printer right?

yeah, but the model number is not listed as a choice.

I'm having a problem with glibc-devel, specifically /usr/lib/crt1.o which seems to be missing and is preventing me from running the intel compiler. How do i fix this? I've found posts from people with this problem all over hte place, but haven't found a solution.

franznietzsche said:
I'm having a problem with glibc-devel, specifically /usr/lib/crt1.o which seems to be missing and is preventing me from running the intel compiler. How do i fix this? I've found posts from people with this problem all over hte place, but haven't found a solution.

Do a 'find / -name crt1.o' from a shell, and post your output. You could also verify that crt1.o is in /usr/lib.

Take a look at the release notes:

http://neumann.cem.msu.edu/docs/icc/C++ReleaseNotes.htm

There's an insert about the 'crt1.o' error you are encountering. If your error message looks similar to that, modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable will be trivial.

Last edited by a moderator:
[]$ ifort hw1c.f90
ld: /usr/lib/crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
[]$ find -name crt1.o
[]$

It doesn't disply anything when i enter the find command, just brings up another prompt.

ONly thing I've found online is that this has to do with a problem with the gnu library, but fixing that seems to be very difficult.

franznietzsche said:
[]$ ifort hw1c.f90
ld: /usr/lib/crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
[]$ find -name crt1.o
[]$

It doesn't disply anything when i enter the find command, just brings up another prompt.

ONly thing I've found online is that this has to do with a problem with the gnu library, but fixing that seems to be very difficult.

Did you do a full Fedora install?

This shouldn't be difficult at all. If you didn't do an install it's a matter of 1) installing the glibc-devel rpm and 2) setting the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Both of these are trivial.

graphic7 said:
Did you do a full Fedora install?

This shouldn't be difficult at all. If you didn't do an install it's a matter of 1) installing the glibc-devel rpm and 2) setting the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Both of these are trivial.

I tried installing the glibc-devel rpm, but the the entire glibc is missing.

And it may be trivial, but i still don't know how to do it

The only thing i can think of is that there is something wrong with the GNU library on Fedora. I can't find a solution for this problem anywhere, i tried reinstalling, made sure that glibc was included, and the probelm is still there. Every other report I've found of this problem has been running fedora.

Any ideas?

I looked in the install.log and found that

glib-devel-1.2.10-15.x86_64.rpm
glibc-devel-2.3.3-74.i386.rpm
glibc-profile-2.3.3-74.x86_64.rpm
glibc-utils-2.3.3-74.x86_64.rpm

Were all NOT installed.

glibc-2.3.3-74.i686
glibc-2.3.3-74.x86_64

Were installed

I checked the MD5 checksum on the isos to be sure they matched(it did). However, when i booted from the fedora disc, it failed the media check. Could this be related? Why would the MD5 match when the media check failed though?

glibc-2.3.3-74.i686
glibc-2.3.3-74.x86_64

Were installed
Shouldn't it be one or the other?

gnome said:
Shouldn't it be one or the other?

I would think so, but that's what the install.log said.

I'm running yum update right now, I'm hoping that maybe that will fix the problem, it listed all the glibc files (glibc, glibc-devel, glibc-common) that i was apparently missing.

Arrr. This is exactly why I like emerge. It is just better at installing and keeping track of software. I just installed suse 9.2 on someones computer because they got pentrated for NOT CHANGING DEFAULT PASSWORDS. Actually it was partially my fault for forgetting to disable root login through ssh, but anyway. They previosly ran gentoo. The first thing that they complain to me about is how bad installing programs is. Even for myself it was a pain in the butt to install stuff. So know they are going back to gentoo.

The moral of the story:
If you had installed gentoo and typed: emerge icc, you would have been done a long time ago.

Last edited:
dduardo said:
Arrr. This is exactly why I like emerge. It is just better at installing and keeping track of software. I just installed suse 9.2 on someones computer because they got pentrated for NOT CHANGING DEFAULT PASSWORDS. Actually it was partially my fault for forgetting to disable root login through ssh, but anyway. They previosly ran gentoo. The first thing that they complain to me about is how bad installing programs is. Even for myself it was a pain in the butt to install stuff. So know they are going back to gentoo.

The moral of the story:
If you had installed gentoo and typed: emerge icc, you would have been done a long time ago.

Yeah, but oh well. Its working now, so no worries. Thanx for the input and help everyone.