Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linux is great

1. Mar 19, 2003 #1
    Linux is great !!!

I started to use linux mandrake and redhat, both i installed on my HDD.

The KDE has a better look than windows.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2003 #2
    Yes, linux is great, I agree. I started out with Mandrake.. never actually used RedHat except for briefly at a place I used to work at (version 6.2 if I remember correctly.)

I currently use Debian and am very happy with it although I think that though KDE is better than the Windows desktop, Gnome (+ either Sawfish or Metacity) or Blackbox are cooler than KDE, but I won't be starting any religious linux wars.

I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us linux converts!

4. Mar 19, 2003 #3

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I use Mandrake sometimes. If your not a programmer there isn't any reason to use Linux. Stick with Mac or Windows if your an app user.

5. Mar 20, 2003 #4
    I'm using Mandrake 9.0 and Redhat 8.0.

Windows is great too, therefore I install dual boot system.

6. Mar 20, 2003 #5
    Day after day i notice how bad windows is.
    I had a folder with like 6000 files, only opening the folder took kind of 10 seconds ! (not that much, but not too low too !).

I also once saw the unassemled boot loader of win 95, i can tell you IT SUCKS !

Linux is good, problem is apps.

7. Mar 20, 2003 #6
    Any reason you think this? I've been a dedicated linux user for ~7 months now and have never had a problem finding an app to suit my needs - in fact I usually find a multitude of them with different variations that not only do the job better than any program on windows, but also are free.

For the record, I'm not a programmer and linux has replaced windows as my primary OS. The problem of applications not being ported to linux was solved a while ago and while I'm sure you won't be able to find say.. your favorite Macromedia application (i.e. Dreamweaver) you are sure to find 100 suitable alternatives as I have (such as Bluefish, Mozilla composer, etc.) Not to mention the GIMP which is an excellent image editor and as a former Photoshop user, I would say that besides having to learn a new piece of software, it doesn't disappoint at all.

Rethink your opinion of linux - or at least dedicate yourself to using it for one month before you make such a bold claim. You're wrong.

8. Mar 20, 2003 #7
    Is linux better than windows in programming?

I am VB user, I try to migrate to Visual.NET , microsoft claims that .NET is better than any other programming tool.

9. Mar 20, 2003 #8
    Windows and Linux both have theur good points but anyways isnt it hard to compare the two when they are good in different areas for different things?

10. Mar 20, 2003 #9
    Must admit, although I'm embarassed to say, I've never had anything but problems with linux. Tried Redhat and Mandrake with errors up the butt. Stable? I don't think so. I've had problems with crashes much more than I ever have with Window$. I love the whole open source concept, I gone from pirating and cracking to pure freeware and open source, but I think I've just gotten used to the sensitive side of MS OSs. Crashes are so rare I would say it barely ever happens. Try turning your computer on and off a few times with linux while it's booting or closing. It doesn't like it. Not in my experience anyway. I'm a pretty frenetic user so I'm constantly loading, deleting, opening multiple documents, killing tasks mid stream, low level debugging or all of them at once. My computer loves me and show me as much respect as I show it. People at work yell and scream at their boxes and look at me wierd when I tell them to think nice thoughts about their PCs. It works. If you want apps and ease of use, I haven't found a better OS that MS ones.

Raavin

11. Mar 21, 2003 #10
    Well, I think it depends. There are a lot of variances between each distro. RedHat and Mandrake are not my choice primarily because of the package management (RPM.) There are a lot of problems with dependencies and getting things to run properly That's the primary reason I switched to Debian. It's not as easy to install as the two mentioned above but installing programs is as simple as typing a command at a terminal.

Also, how well linux runs for any specific person depends a lot on their hardware. I have pretty generic hardware so there haven't been too many problems and I can see how others would not want to bother, especially coming from a Windows environment. There were nights I would stay up cursing at my machine (and linux) because things wouldn't work the way I wanted to and due to my overall confusion. But the fact is, if you stick with it long enough, you start to understand the problems you may encounter and how to solve them. Now, whenever I use Windows, I have to download Cygwin <http://www.cygwin.com/> so that I can have my command line to move things around, delete them etc.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks :) You get out what you put in as far as linux is concerned.

12. Mar 21, 2003 #11
    I doubt that MS will make programs that run under Linux.
    Even if, VB programs are made only to run under Windows (as far as i remember).
    Normally C programmer (and maybe assembly programers) use Linux, cause those languages can be adjusted for any OS.

13. Mar 21, 2003 #12
    I used Linux (first Redhat, then Debian) pretty much exclusively until about a year ago, when I switched over to Win2000 for a few reasons:
    1) Win2k was actually stable, and didn't require daily rebooting
    2) I was sick to death of Netscape crashing every 10 minutes, and being slow as hell besides (this was before Mozilla)
    3) I had more or less finished my project of figuring out how OSs/libraries/servers/etc worked, and no longer cared to mess with setting things up myself.

IMHO if you want to be a power user, learn what your computer is actually doing, or program, Linux is wonderful. If you just don't care, and just want to be able to download/run random apps without learning a new config file format each time... Windows is easier.

14. Mar 23, 2003 #13
    may be we cantry lindows too,
    a hybrid!!

15. Mar 25, 2003 #14
    Re: Linux is great !!!

that is great :) KDE is the bomb, imo. second to aqua. suse linux personaly is what i recommend but all in all, they are all the same. and don't ever use gnome.. imo.. :)

16. Mar 25, 2003 #15
    Re: Re: Linux is great !!!

Gnome is fantastic. Infinitely tweakable if you have the time and patience (coming from a KDE->Gnome convert.)

17. Mar 25, 2003 #16
    Re: Linux is great !!!

[GASP] Are you really Futurist? The one from pf 2.0 that I've heard SO much about??!! if so, that is SO cool!!

18. Mar 25, 2003 #17
    Re: Re: Re: Linux is great !!!

well.. ok.. granted, but i have always used KDE more.. so idk.. :P :)

both are pretty much the same.. lol.

19. Mar 26, 2003 #18
    I remember thinking the same thing about DOS.... isn't this statement true of everything, even Windows?

20. Mar 26, 2003 #19
    no not windows, the error packs i mean service packs cause problem in itself.. cough.

21. Mar 26, 2003 #20
    Yes, but the problems I had on Window's were so well hidden I never really figured out how to fix anything. The solution in linux is rarely to "reboot" as it is with a large percentage of Window's problems. I thought I knew a decent amount about computers before I used linux - then I started using it and realized I didn't know a damn thing about how my computer worked. It's been a very sobering experience

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?