Why Switch (or Not) to Linux? - Exploring the Pros & Cons

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons for switching to Linux and the mocking of Apple's "switch" campaign. The speaker shares their favorite mocking commercial and explains how it plays on Apple's previous advertising tactics.
The_Professional
Here's why people should switch to Linux..or maybe not
http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54&swfSize=3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get that one :S

Apple had run a series of commercials where people were expressing their discontent with Microsoft, then they tried a Macintosh and it changed their life, yada yada.

Each commercial, like that had a completely white background.

Near the end, an Apple logo would come up with the words: Apple.com/switch under it.

Then, right at the end the person would say, "My name is, and I'm a _____"

That apple one is awesome.
"I even get to wear a cape"

Originally posted by Monique
I don't get that one :S

The commercials have been wiped off Apple.com, but here is what the campaign was about:

http://www.apple.com/switch/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why should I switch to Linux?

There are several reasons why someone might consider switching to Linux. One of the main reasons is that Linux is known for its stability and security, making it a popular choice for businesses and organizations. Additionally, Linux offers a wide range of customization options and is free to use, unlike many other operating systems.

2. What are the advantages of using Linux?

Some of the main advantages of using Linux include its open-source nature, which allows for greater flexibility and control over the operating system. Linux also has a large and active community of users who can provide support and troubleshooting assistance. Additionally, Linux is known for its compatibility with a variety of hardware and software.

3. What are the disadvantages of using Linux?

While there are many benefits to using Linux, there are also some potential drawbacks. One of the main challenges is that Linux can have a steep learning curve, especially for those coming from a Windows or Mac background. Additionally, some popular software and programs may not be available for Linux, although there are often alternative options available.

4. Is Linux suitable for beginners?

While Linux can be intimidating for beginners, there are many user-friendly distributions (or "distros") that are designed specifically for those new to the operating system. These distros often come with a user-friendly interface and pre-installed software, making it easier for beginners to get started. Additionally, there are many online resources and communities available to help beginners learn and troubleshoot any issues.

5. Can I still use Windows or Mac software on Linux?

Some Windows and Mac software may not be compatible with Linux, but there are often alternative options available. For example, many popular programs have Linux versions or can be run using software like Wine. Additionally, there are many open-source and free software options available for Linux that can serve as alternatives to popular Windows or Mac programs.