Installing Java VM Plugins on Red Hat 9 - Tips & Troubleshooting

• Java
  • Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
In summary, when trying to load various web pages, the user was getting an error. So, in order to fix the issue, the user went to the Netscape Browser plugin finder site and found the appropriate plugin for Java and successfully installed it on both machines. However, on the notebook, the java applications only work if the user is logged in as root. After following the instructions given, the user found the directory tree where the plugins were installed and changed the permissions so that they were the same on the laptop as on the desktop. Finally, the user realized that they didn't have to install the Java j2re package and just made a link to the plugin folder of their j2sdk directory, which Firebird correctly
gnome
(I recently installed Red Hat 9 with Mozilla on my desktop AND notebook pcs)

When I tried to load various web pages I was getting an error: This page contains information of a type (application/x-java-vm) that can only be viewed with the appropriate Plug-in.

So I went to the Netscape Browser plugin finder site and found the appropriate plugin for java-vm and "successfully" installed it on both machines. (In both cases I had to su to root in order to do this installation. If not logged in as root, I got "access denied" when it tried to install.) Now, these java applications run fine on my desktop pc for ANY user. But on my notebook, they only work if I'm logged in as root. As a normal user, I still get that "This page contains information ... bla bla bla" error message.

Any ideas? I'm guessing there's just a problem with file permissions, but I don't know what file to look for.

Technology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about Moz regular, but here's what you'd do for Moz Firebird... it probably will work for regular.

Create a soft link in your ~/.mozilla/plugins/ dir to the libjavaplugin_oji.so file which is wherever you installed Java. For me it's:
Code:
ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Make sure you link to the appropriate libjavaplugin_oji.so (there should be another in /i386/ns610/). I think for Moz regular v1.5+ and for Moz Firebird 0.6.1+ you'll want to link to the ns610-gcc32 one.

hth

Last edited:
Thanks, but that doesn't seem right. There is no .mozilla subdirectory in my home directory, so I don't know where I would put that link. And anyway, its working fine on my desktop machine without it. the problem is only on the notebook.

Anyway, I found the directory tree where the plugins were installed, & for some reason, on the desktop, all the directories in that tree have global read-execute permission, but on the laptop they were set to give permissions only to root. So I went through the tree & changed the permissions; I believe they are now all the same on the laptop as on the desktop.

Now, the java applets still work for root, but if I go as an ordinary user to a webpage that tries to open a java applet, instead of giving the plugin message, it instantly closes the browser. So I just made things worse.

Oh, make the folder then. :wink:

Didn't work. I made the link but it didn't help.

Guess I'll play around with it some more tomorrow.

Thanks anyway.

if you just going to the home directory folder on your desktop your not going to see the folder.

a DOTfoldername is the equivalent to a hidden folder in windows. To see it go to the console and type "ls -a" in you home directory.

You also shouldn't be "chmod'ing" every file. It is dangerous!

I recommend that you upgrade to the lastest mozilla,firebird, whatever, and use the lastest java vm. Then make the link as abhishek said, but to the place where you installed the new mozilla, firebird program.

If you want to try to get your current mozilla to work, then try the link to "ns610" java version as abhishek said.

Thanks, dduardo, but the problem was not that I didn't see the .mozilla; it was there but it was empty. It's the /plugins that wasn't there. But that wasn't the problem either, 'cause after that I mkdir'd a .mozilla/plugins directory & put the link there, but Mozilla wasn't looking there anyway.

But that's OK too. I just got disgusted & said why am I wasting time on this old Mo 1.2.1 so I just uninstalled it completely & installed Firebird instead, and that's working just fine.

And I realized I didn't have to bother installing the java j2re package either. I just made a link like abishek described to the plugin folder of my j2sdk directory, so Firebird looks there & runs the java applets perfectly.

All's well that ends well. Thanks both of you.

1. How do I install Java VM plugins on Red Hat 9?

To install Java VM plugins on Red Hat 9, you can follow these steps:

1. Download the latest Java VM plugin from the official website.
  2. Open the Terminal and navigate to the directory where the plugin is saved.
  3. Use the command "tar -zxvf " to extract the contents of the plugin.
  4. Move the extracted files to the appropriate directory by using the command "mv /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/".
  5. Restart your browser and the Java VM plugin should now be installed.

2. Why am I unable to install Java VM plugins on Red Hat 9?

There could be a few reasons why you are unable to install Java VM plugins on Red Hat 9:

• You may not have the necessary permissions to install the plugin.
  • The plugin you are trying to install may not be compatible with Red Hat 9.
  • There may be conflicts with other plugins or extensions in your browser.

Make sure you have the appropriate permissions and try installing a different version of the plugin. You can also try disabling other plugins or extensions to see if that resolves the issue.

3. How do I troubleshoot issues with Java VM plugins on Red Hat 9?

If you are experiencing issues with Java VM plugins on Red Hat 9, here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow:

• Make sure you have the latest version of the plugin installed.
  • Check for any error messages in the Terminal or browser console.
  • Disable any conflicting plugins or extensions.
  • Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
  • Try using a different browser.
  • If all else fails, try reinstalling the plugin.

4. Can I use Java VM plugins on Red Hat 9 with any browser?

Java VM plugins are compatible with most browsers, including Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. However, some older browsers may not support the latest version of the plugin. It is recommended to use a modern and updated browser for the best compatibility and security.

5. Is it safe to install Java VM plugins on Red Hat 9?

Java VM plugins can pose security risks if they are not kept up to date. It is important to regularly check for updates and install them to ensure the plugin is secure. Additionally, be cautious when downloading and installing plugins from unknown sources, as they may contain malicious code. It is always best to download plugins from the official website.