Finding Shell Commands and Answers in a Fedora Core 4 System

In summary, a user is asking if there is a way to see all the shell commands and system responses that their friend has used while installing a Fedoracore4 on their machine. They mention using the command "cat ~/.bash_history |less" and ask if it would be different for another shell. They also ask two additional questions about connecting with SSH to another machine and if Linux saves all shells and system responses.
Omid
Hi,
My friend has installed a Fedoracore4 on my machine. I want to see what he has done with it to understand how. Is there any way see all the shell commands he has typed with all the answers the machine has given him?

Computer science news on Phys.org
cat ~/.bash_history |less

If your using another shell it would be different.

dduardo said:
cat ~/.bash_history |less

If your using another shell it would be different.

It works. Thanks alot.
2 more questions:
1. what if I connect with SSH to another machine.
2. the history only gives the commands my friend has typed, just to make sure, is there any way to see the system responses to them? I mean, does linux save all shells (completely, everything shown on screen) ??

1. How do I find a specific shell command in Fedora Core 4?

In order to find a specific shell command in Fedora Core 4, you can use the which command. Simply type which followed by the name of the command you are looking for, and the system will display the path to the executable file.

2. What is the best way to search for a specific command in all directories in Fedora Core 4?

The find command is the best way to search for a specific command in all directories in Fedora Core 4. You can use it with the -name option to specify the name of the command you are looking for, and the -type f option to search only for files.

3. How do I view a list of all available shell commands in Fedora Core 4?

You can use the compgen command to view a list of all available shell commands in Fedora Core 4. This command generates a list of all commands, aliases, and keywords in the current shell session.

4. Is there a way to get more information about a specific command in Fedora Core 4?

Yes, you can use the man command to get more information about a specific command in Fedora Core 4. Simply type man followed by the name of the command, and a manual page with detailed information will be displayed.

5. Can I search for a specific command using keywords in Fedora Core 4?

Yes, you can use the apropos command to search for a specific command using keywords in Fedora Core 4. This command searches the manual page names and descriptions for the keyword and displays a list of relevant commands.