Linux OpenFOAM issue

Hi PF!

I'm unsure if I'm in the right area, but I'm trying to run OpenFOAM on Linux. I'm following the tutorial here:

but when I type the 4th command: cp -r $FOAM_TUTORIALS/incompressible/simpleFoam/pitzDaily
I receive the error: cp: missing destination file operand after '/opt/openfoam6/tutorials/incompressible.simpleFoam/pitzDaily'

Any help is very appreciated!

Svein

Science Advisor
Insights Author
but when I type the 4th command: cp -r $FOAM_TUTORIALS/incompressible/simpleFoam/pitzDaily
I receive the error: cp: missing destination file operand after '/opt/openfoam6/tutorials/incompressible.simpleFoam/pitzDaily'
Yes - you tell the system to copy a file from (the source you have given) to [nothing]. No wonder the copy function is confused!

jim mcnamara

Mentor
Linux/UNIX cp syntax:
Code:
cp [option]  [path/]source destination
two arguments are required.

Notice that there is a dot after the cp command on the website you mentioned, which means 'here, at this location'. You are copying the directory 'pitzDaily' into the location where you currently are, which is the directory $FOAM_RUN, or actually the directory to which this alias refers to.

jim mcnamara

Mentor
The pwd command shows what directory the "Dot" represents, if there is any confusion.
e.g.,
Code:
$> pwd
/home/jim
$>  echo .
$>
Using echo will not work for this.