Is Ubuntu Safe for My Laptop's Hard Drive?

• Thread starter madsmoke9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, if you want to use linux on a desktop system, Ubuntu is generally the easiest to setup and has a lot of users/support.
madsmoke9
I have a 6 month old off the shelf laptop that is running windows vista. was not my choice to pick vista but it was givien to me. I am thinking of putting linux on it or just buying a whole new one that is an apple. but if i would go with linux what one would i want to use i have no prior knowledge of linux.
the spects are
1 Gig of ram
intell dual core (not core 2 duo)
and stock graphics (what ever intel gives it i don't know what that may be)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Which cheese should I eat? Which wine should I buy?

ok not rly a big help... haha I am just asking what type of linux is the best one to start out with so i can learn the program

Ubuntu is generally the easiest to setup on a desktop system and has a lot of users/support. It can also run live from the CD so you can check it works with the hardware before actually doing an install.
Choice of linux distro is a bit of a religous/fashion thing - so this post will be followed by a dozen recommending other distos.

madsmoke9 said:
ok not rly a big help... haha I am just asking what type of linux is the best one to start out with so i can learn the program

The first thing you should do is get your terminalogy correct. What you're asking for is a distro based on linux (linux is the kernel). And linux is not a program. Try the term OS instead.
http://www.linuxdig.com/documents/dictionary.php

I highly recommend http://dzongkha.sourceforge.net/" [Broken] Linux. It's of good quality because it was created by Bhutan's Department of Information Technology. You may have to learn the language & script, though. On the plus side, it's free!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzongkha" [Broken] has more information about the language & its people.

Last edited by a moderator:
ranger said:
The first thing you should do is get your terminalogy correct. What you're asking for is a distro based on linux (linux is the kernel). And linux is not a program. Try the term OS instead.
http://www.linuxdig.com/documents/dictionary.php

ok dude chill out its not the end of the world...

thanks for the ideas to kick around any more distros that you can throw at me would be cool!
oh one more thing how is the linux distros with networking like is there any major problems? i have only worked with windows on this. i have taken classes on computer networking and telecommunications and a Cisco networking class. so i know a lil bit...

Unix is a very network operating system, Sun's motto "the network is the computer"

The only network problems you are likely to find is wireless cards in some laptops where the makers don't release the specs - but on mainstream machines this is getting rarer.

madsmoke9 said:
ok dude chill out its not the end of the world...oh one more thing how is the linux distros with networking like is there any major problems? i have only worked with windows on this. i have taken classes on computer networking and telecommunications and a Cisco networking class. so i know a lil bit...

Haha, okay. Its just that if you're going to use something, its best to terminology right. The terms linux and distro aren't synonymous; though they used that way by many.

If you're going to invest in a network interface card, its best to look for one that has a chipset that has the linux drivers available. For example, my wireless card with a Prism chipset worked out of the box. Its not really about who makes the card, its just the chipset. Once you know the chipset, its pretty easy to figure out how to get your device to work. In a worst case scenario, you'll have to use your windows drivers on linux through a wrapper called NDIS Wrapper.

Since you've taken a Cisco class you'll be happy to know that there is a package called Zebra. I had a lot of fun with this package.
http://www.zebra.org/
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache...25+zebra+cisco+linux&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

I linked the cached version of a very interesting article from linux-mag. I think they now require you to register to view articles.

ok now I am getting some VERY helpful feed back...
robphy -- I am gunna use this comp for just experimental and just something i can have fun with.
ranger -- will linux accept the windows drivers??

OH and one more thing what about the whole apple thing i have very little experince with that are they any good? any info on them would be helpful!

madsmoke9 said:
ok now I am getting some VERY helpful feed back...
robphy -- I am gunna use this comp for just experimental and just something i can have fun with.
ranger -- will linux accept the windows drivers??

Do you mean wireless network card drivers? If so, then most of the time, yes. If your chipset is popular, then chances are that the kernel version you've installed already has the correct driver installed and should load the correct modules when the card is inserted. If that doesn't work, you can always google for native linux drivers, or just to see what others have done to get it working. If the previous two yield nothing, then you have no choice but to use NDIS Wrapper. This makes use of your native window drivers by implementing NDIS APIs and linking your windows driver to work under linux. NDIS is a specification for writing device drivers for NICs and windows based machines.

Does that answer your question?

madsmoke9 said:
OH and one more thing what about the whole apple thing i have very little experince with that are they any good? any info on them would be helpful!

Sorry. What do you mean by this? Are you referring to Apple's operating system?

i use ubuntu.No problem with that and ur computer specs.well u can always dual boot with ubuntu+XP(not vista) .Yes u can do with vist but i would recommend going back to XP atleast for now
Get Gutsy Gibbon the newest ubuntu release and u have it all that's there in vista.Yes those eye candies also. and above all u have community support here

yes it does thanks.
i mean everything like are they stable? easily upgraded? umm and you the OS and it seems that they just released a new os "osx" is that gunna act like vista and just be a major pain to work with.

i was doing some priceing on the apple laptops and found that they have a multi boot option that has windows xp prof. alerady installed... is its good or will only bring down the comp?

Madsmoke9,

So your graphics card is intel, what is your wireless card's chipset? If it's intel or atheros, it sounds like your laptop might work right out of the box with Ubuntu Gutsy, all hardware configured. Of course it's your choice which distro you use.

i don't know what the chip set is and when i try to find it my comp freazes up
all i know is that i have some generic drivers and i can't up date them b/c windows vista won't let me look for them. its like its got a mind of its own haha!

Can't you just go to Device Manager? You should be able to get that info there. If not, then boot up a live cd and do "lspci".

well if u are using it in ur laptop then a caution is a must ubuntu hets ur laptop quickly.so be aware about that

pardesi said:
well if u are using it in ur laptop then a caution is a must ubuntu hets ur laptop quickly.so be aware about that

What are you trying to say?

I speak gibberish - I think he is saying that the power management configuration may be an issue. It is not always configured correctly out of the box.

mgb_phys said:
I speak gibberish - I think he is saying that the power management configuration may be an issue. It is not always configured correctly out of the box.

In Ubuntu it is. Plus hibernation and sleep work out of the box.

Can fix it straight up via "hdparm", aggressive power saving by default which may lead to problems in HDD life.

1. Is Ubuntu compatible with my laptop's hardware?

Yes, Ubuntu is designed to be compatible with a wide range of hardware, including laptops. You can check the official Ubuntu website for a list of supported hardware or use the "try before you install" feature to test compatibility on your specific laptop.

2. Will switching to Ubuntu affect my laptop's hard drive?

No, switching to Ubuntu will not affect your laptop's hard drive. Ubuntu is a separate operating system and will not interfere with any existing files or data on your hard drive. However, it is always recommended to back up important data before making any major changes to your system.

3. Is Ubuntu more secure than other operating systems?

Ubuntu is known for its strong security features and is often considered to be more secure than other operating systems. However, no operating system is completely immune to security threats. It is important to regularly update your system and use strong passwords to ensure the security of your data.

4. Can I still use Windows on my laptop if I install Ubuntu?

Yes, you can dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on your laptop. This means you can choose which operating system to use each time you start your laptop. However, it is important to note that dual booting may require some technical knowledge and can potentially cause issues if not done correctly.

5. Is Ubuntu free to use?

Yes, Ubuntu is an open-source operating system and is completely free to use. This means you can download, install, and use Ubuntu without any cost. Additionally, you can also access a wide range of free software and tools through the Ubuntu Software Center.