.Creating a New User in Debian Sarge 3.1

• Thread starter Omid
  • Start date
In summary: Debianserver: password: 123Debianserver: pppd: the remote client must authenticate itselfDebianserver: pppd: but I can't find any secret(password) for it
Omid
In a HOWTO page, I'm told to define a new user this way:
(I'm using Debian Sarge 3.1 Official)
1. Create new group ppp, for this you need to edit file /etc/group and add this line on the end of file:

ppp:x:1001:

2. Create new system user for dialin connection pppuser: Simple create new system user and when using shell command vipw change line of user pppuser to this:

pppuser:x:1001:1001:,,,:/home/pppuser:/usr/sbin/ppplogin

3. Use Passwd command to change the password to whatever you want.

When I typed
passwd pppuser (return)
I got the following error:
passwd Authentication service cannot retrive authentication.

What's wrong?

I don't why but, when I emailed the auther and asked to use "adduser". He told me not to ! And told me again to follow those steps:
follow 1 and 2 step, not using adduser and then change password using
command passwd to whatever you want.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
The line should read:

pppuser::1001:1001:,,,:/home/pppuser:/usr/sbin/ppplogin

I got rid of the x after "pppuser:"

Where you have x that is where the md5 hashed password goes. You might be confusing the authenication to thinking you actually have a nonstandard password.

As always you'r right dduardo :D
The problem solved but still I can't login.
I followed the structions on the page:
http://tvilda.stilius.net/callback_en.php
But when I want to dial from a win box, I get Access denied, the user or pass is unknown on the domain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you restart pppd when you changed the password?

/etc/init.d/pppd restart

Also, I would try from another linux box to try to dial into the server using kppp or something similar. Windows can be funny with authentication.

You know, I think one of the most important tasks of a good programmer is to restart his machine at least once in a hour :D Whenever I changed the configurations I either typed "init q" or restarted the machine.

You know when I set the pppd without "login" option. It works well. It shows that I'm very close to it. But without authentication all that I've done in last 3 days is nothing :((

I tried to connect via a linux box as ddura told me. The authentication failed again :((

Can you login to pppuser from the server directly?

su pppuser

Tomorrow I'll check it with "su". But I tried to login in a terminal directly, I don't remember exactly but it was something like this:

Debianserver $: login: pppuser
Debianserver $: password: 123
Debianserver $: pppd: the remoet client must athenticate itself
Debianserver $: pppd: but I can't find any secret(password) for it

Debianserver: login:

Last edited:

1. How do I create a new user in Debian Sarge 3.1?

To create a new user in Debian Sarge 3.1, you can use the "adduser" command in the terminal. Simply enter "adduser " and follow the prompts to set a password and other user information.

2. Can I set a default password for the new user?

No, it is not recommended to set a default password for the new user. It is best practice to allow the user to set their own secure password for their account.

3. How can I specify which groups the new user belongs to?

During the user creation process, you will be prompted to select which groups the new user will belong to. You can also use the "usermod" command to add the user to additional groups after creation.

4. Is it possible to create a user without a home directory?

Yes, you can create a user without a home directory by using the "adduser --no-create-home " command. This can be useful for creating system users or accounts with limited access.

5. How do I delete a user in Debian Sarge 3.1?

To delete a user in Debian Sarge 3.1, you can use the "deluser" command in the terminal. Simply enter "deluser " and follow the prompts to confirm the deletion. This will also delete the user's home directory and mail spool if they exist.