Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linux Plotting Software

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    I searched and I didn't find anything for this so here goes:

I am looking for a graphing/plotting package that will allow me to graph data and plot equations on the same graph- publishing quality. Does anyone know of any open source software for Linux (FC3 to be exact) that does this? I downloaded XMGrace but it doesn't seem to allow me to plot equations.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2
    GNUplot plots equations. Maxima is a CAS that uses GNUplot to graph if asked to.
    They work well together.

4. Nov 14, 2005 #3
    GNUplot is the best of the bunch?
    Thanks for the Maxima info- i have been looking for a good CAS on linux and it is free to boot!

5. Nov 14, 2005 #4
    I think gri makes better looking plots. It's not a CAS though so in some cases you would have to produce the stuff you're going to plot in octave, save the data and then plot it. I suppose one can make good looking plots with gnuplot too but I've never got around to learning it so well that the plots wouldn't look like crap.

6. Nov 15, 2005 #5

ranger

Gold Member

You could also find more plotting software by searching the free software directory.

http://directory.fsf.org/math/plot/

But maxima does the job just fine.

7. Nov 15, 2005 #6
    in addition- I found a decent plotter called LabPlot. It is allowing me to do data and functions defineded over limited intervals on the same graph fairly easily. For mass ploting, and script ploting gnuplot does seem to be the best.

8. Apr 6, 2011 #7
    Among the programs I tried, I like DataScene better. It features a cool GUI and produces high-quality graphs. It also has a data animation feature.

http://www.cyber-wit.com

9. Apr 6, 2011 #8
    First, don't be a necromancer. It's not nice.

Second, the software you linked to is proprietary.

10. Apr 7, 2011 #9
    Sorry, my mistake. Did not pay much attention to "open source".

11. Apr 7, 2011 #10
    It's cool. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?