Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linux: Pros and Cons

1. Jul 19, 2005 #1
    I hate MS. I already scrapped IE and am considering changing my OS from MS to Linux. What are the pros and cons to changing to Linux?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2005 #2
    It's free, and really good experience since linux is posix - from what I understand but I could be wrong. That means if you work somewhere that uses UNIX you will have some useful experience.

Besides that, it offers a lot of computing power and it has the vi editor. I fell in love with the vi editor the first time I ever used it. It's actually the main reasons I will always have linux on my puter....

Another plus is the documentation that comes with a linux distro....way better than MS products.

Security through obscurity, although it is becoming less true everyday.

I can't think of anything else but there is a lot more. I am sure you will get an ear full.

Good Luck

4. Jul 19, 2005 #3
    what is the vi editor? does it come with every distribution? which distribution do you use?

5. Jul 19, 2005 #4
    vi editor is just an editor for writing programs but I really like it.

I am pretty sure that it comes in just about every distro, I use fedora core 4....

6. Jul 19, 2005 #5
    Pros: stable, no viruses, good tools networking/systems, free, open sourced, open standards implemented
    Cons: more difficult to use, not as many applications..

Basically an experienced user can make *nix do everything and more than Windows, take the plunge, it will be an experience anyway...

I was using FC3 (actually still admin a bunch of red hat servers) but I just started using Ubuntu at home, debian style... quite ok, and would recomend either the red hat arch or Debian arch distos

7. Jul 19, 2005 #6
    my friend is giving me his knoppix discs, is that a good distro?

8. Jul 19, 2005 #7
    live cd will give you a sample of linux.. try it... I use Konopix offen for fixing wrecked windowz pcs

9. Jul 19, 2005 #8
    http://distrowatch.com/

will give u a better idea of the distros.. if u have dsl or some other highBW internet u can download some of them...

Download Ubuntu and remember

"Ubuntu is an age-old African term for humaneness - for caring, sharing and being
    in harmony with all of creation." :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  10. Jul 19, 2005 #9
    what is a good browser for Linux. i currently use Firefox.

11. Jul 19, 2005 #10
    You can have problems getting hardware to work under Linux too, since quite a few manufacturers don't write drivers for Linux (correct me if I'm wrong).

vi doesn't have to be used solely for writing programs, you can use it for anything you just need a text editor for.

Edit: you can use Firefox on Linux, too.

12. Jul 19, 2005 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Knoppix is a good starting place. Just boot from the cd and go. No need to install anything on the hard drive. Knoppix is going to have the KDE desktop environment. The interface should look pretty familiar. Here are some screenshots of kde:

http://www.kde.org/screenshots/kde340shots.php

13. Jul 19, 2005 #12
    Right, I guess I should have put commonly used for writing programs. Although, as you said, it can be used as a regular text editor.

14. Jul 19, 2005 #13
    I just started reading up on the vi editor. I gave up after a few days :(. I have to motivate myself to start learning it again.

15. Jul 19, 2005 #14

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Vi is nice because of all the keyboard shortcuts and the ability to do regex and other stuff to single or multiple files at the same time. VI is difinately not for those really used to only using the mouse.

16. Jul 19, 2005 #15
    when you say text editor, what do you mean? like a wordprossessor?

17. Jul 20, 2005 #16
    No, more like Notepad.

18. Jul 20, 2005 #17
    isn't notepad a wordproccessor(be it very weak)?

19. Jul 20, 2005 #18
    wow all this dissusion about VI...

20. Jul 20, 2005 #19
    I have never spent any course in literature or rhetorics, so please...donot inject me with a voice or tone after this post of mine, please be plain, understandable, and above all, straightforward...

As far as i know notepad and vi are for different environment uses, the purpose of choosing an OS for use is not mainly on the topic of text editors. That little piece of software will never last long either, things evolve and develop over time. I like both of them for copy and paste, text processing, and saving my notes and informative posts by people like those by Moonbear in biology forum to later re-read and learn more.
    Notepad in windows is provoked faster and consumes less memories than vi does in Linux, since it is 'simple', and maybe because it is a... notepad with not so many a functions implemented at all.

I like Linux because Linux is truely has beautiful an interface than does Windows, I don't have much time to be around with Linux, but still i highly recommend Linux for use after all.

21. Jul 20, 2005 #20
    Pros:
    - You wouldn't have to worry about spyware, viruses.
    - It is fast, and reliable, especially if you're running a server.
    - Some distros have a really good community.
    - There are many more that I cant think of right now...

Cons:
    - It's sometimes difficult to get used to Linux (using the terminal especially), I recommend using a debian GUI based distro to start with like Ubuntu, MEPIS, etc
    - Top class applications like Photoshop are not available in Linux.
    - The variety of software available is limited.

Check out Distrowatch.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?