What are some obscure but useful Linux software for PhD students?

In summary: There is also the MATLAB software from MathWorks.Anything else you think the reader would find helpful?In summary, the PhD student recommends a compiler, source material, and software for CFD, visualizing simulations, and command line usage.
RobosaurusRex
Hi,

I am a PhD student studying fluid dynamics, and have a heavy interest in numerical programming and simulations. I come from a background in Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.

I have an ubuntu system set up and I have the typical software I plan to be using regularly, ie MATLAB, Python, LaTeX.

Is there any useful/fun software you guys recommend that either is obscure or something not many people would think of? Anything relevant to maths/physics or even just admin related to PhD is much appreciated!

Even any coding languages which you think would be of worth, please throw them down to.

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
If you are doing CFD, you need a compiler for your code, C++ or FORTRAN because CFD unstructured grids take an immense amount of time to run and converge to a reasonable answer. Matlab is OK for initial algorithm development.

There is also the Anaconda python distro that is very popular as it has many of the key python modules configured in.

Directions here:

http://quant-econ.net/py/getting_started.html

It can also run Julia numerical programming as well.

http://quant-econ.net/jl/index.html

Dr Transport said:
If you are doing CFD, you need a compiler for your code, C++ or FORTRAN because CFD unstructured grids take an immense amount of time to run and converge to a reasonable answer. Matlab is OK for initial algorithm development.

Do you have any recommendations for source material to a novice of fortran

Thousands of sites online... and if your professor is older than 40, they most likely wrote fortran in the past.

I also recommend to use something like http://www.japref.org to keep track of your growing list of research papers, it can be easily used with latex to create bibliographies. You can also put an addon in firefox so if you are on springer or elsevier, you can directly put the bibliography information in jabref.

For making simple drawings (with latex support) I used to use http://epb.lbl.gov/xfig/ , but it is no longer maintained (any other recommendations?).
For making 2d plots, I use gnuplot or xmgrace

I also recommend playing around with command lines using sed and awk to manipulate output files. there are some interesting websites with lists of oneliners that are real time savers.
When debugging, use the debugger. That's what it's for. Also learn how to use a profiler. I have used valgrind, but if there are others that are better, I'm happy to hear about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
RobosaurusRex said:
Do you have any recommendations for source material to a novice of fortran
In addition to what was mentioned above I would like to recommend the "Guide to Fortran 200x Programming" by Walt Brainerd. I read the book for ##x = 3## and found it very useful. Recently I saw that there is a new edition corresponding to ##x = 8##. I also heard good things about "Modern Fortran in Practice" by Arjen Markus, but I do not own that book myself.

As a compiler you could use gfortran, which is part of GCC. Depending on your employment situation and your hardware, you could also be eligible for free use of Intel's compiler and fine-tuned versions of standard numerical libraries (BLAS and LAPACK, among others).

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
If you're working in a mixed programming environment then you might want to check out Julia as it can interoperable with fortran, R, Python and c/c++. Julia is a more modern open source version of MATLAB.

It has downloadable modules to create all kinds of charting.

It's available in the anaconda distro mentioned earlier.

1. What is Linux software and why is it useful for PhD students?

Linux is a free and open-source operating system that is widely used in scientific research. It provides a flexible and customizable environment for conducting research, analyzing data, and writing papers. As a PhD student, you can benefit from the powerful tools and libraries available in Linux to enhance your research productivity.

2. What are some examples of Linux software that can be useful for PhD students?

There are many Linux software options that can be useful for PhD students, such as R, Python, LaTeX, and GNU Octave. These programs can be used for statistical analysis, data visualization, writing scientific documents, and more. Additionally, Linux offers a wide range of command-line tools that can be helpful for managing data and automating tasks.

3. Can Linux software be used for collaborative research projects?

Yes, Linux software can be used for collaborative research projects. Many of the Linux programs have features that allow for sharing and collaboration, such as version control systems like Git. Furthermore, since Linux is open-source, it promotes collaboration and knowledge-sharing among researchers.

4. Do I need to have programming knowledge to use Linux software?

No, you do not necessarily need programming knowledge to use Linux software. While some programs may require basic programming skills, there are also user-friendly interfaces and tutorials available for many Linux software options. Moreover, as a PhD student, learning basic programming skills can be beneficial for your research career.

5. How can I get started with using Linux software for my PhD research?

To get started with using Linux software for your PhD research, you can first familiarize yourself with the Linux operating system by installing it on your computer or using a virtual machine. Next, explore the various software options available and choose the ones that best suit your research needs. You can also join online communities and forums to ask for recommendations and tips from other researchers using Linux.