Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linux wont boot

1. Aug 13, 2005 #1
    I downloaded Morphix which was supposed to give me an idea of Linux. I downloaded an iso file. Then I had a virtual drive so I mounted it on that. I used Nero and burnt all the files to a rewritable cd.

When I restart the pc (with the CD inside) I get "Boot from CD: " it stays there for 10 seconds and then i get Win XP(booting from my HDD) not Linux.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2005 #2
    Did you try hitting 'enter' when the 'boot from cd' prompt came up?
  4. Aug 13, 2005 #3
    Yes, But XP starts loading!!
  5. Aug 13, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus

Did you check the MD5 checksum before burning the CD? Perhaps the ISO image you downloaded was corrupted.
  6. Aug 13, 2005 #5
    What is MD5 Checksum?
  7. Aug 13, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus

MD5 Checksum is a unique string based on the bits of the file. For example if you look at the right column of this page you'll see a link called MD5SUM:

The string will look something like this:

a0b162e26281ef097ee8b39b8690a8c2 debian-30r4-i386-binary-1_NONUS.iso

When you finish downloading the ISO image you'll run the file through a tool that will generate a md5 string. It should match the same string on the website you downloaded the file from.

Here is an MD5 checksum tool you can use on windows to verifiy the ISO image:

8. Aug 13, 2005 #7
    Did you burn the image to a disk or just the files and folders as they were? You should open the ISO file with nero and it should be ready to burn
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  9. Aug 14, 2005 #8
    Yes that was the mistake I did. Now its working properly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?