Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lion, king of the jungle ?

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    Don't think so :

Pay attention to the guy speaking in Afrikaner Dutch. That lingo is so funny.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2
    I could barely discern what the man speaking Afrikaner Dutch said, but that was an amazing video. Thanks. Also, that was a lucky bunch of chatty tourists to have that on video.

Come on, buffalo, go! :rofl:
  4. Aug 11, 2007 #3

Gold Member

What a great video! That's one lucky calf - hope he survived his ordeal after all that punishment.
  5. Aug 11, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

I was watching this last night. Tell me that that herd didn't make a conscious decision to act together to save the baby. Look at how they returned in a tightly packed group. I always wonder how animals communicate.
  6. Aug 11, 2007 #5

Gold Member

I don't know if that is evolution or simply a group of wild buffalo's who never met a lion before :bugeye:
  7. Aug 11, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its been well known that buffalo will attack lions in groups or one on one for a long time. Some adult buffalo have been seen actively trying to kill lion cubs. An adult buffalo is simply too big for one lion to take on.

Dutch is a funny dialect of German, as is English. :tongue:
  8. Aug 11, 2007 #7

Staff: Mentor

No, the lion is not king of the jungle: Chuck Norris is king of the jungle.

edit: pretty unreal video, though
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  9. Aug 11, 2007 #8
    Ha, even the crocs wanted a piece of the action! Best youtube video ever.
  10. Aug 11, 2007 #9
    I keep asking my dog that question.:biggrin: Seriously there is some communication going on here.

I occasionally see five or six coyotes take turns chasing a jack rabbit and wonder how they decide who goes next.
  11. Aug 11, 2007 #10
    BTW, there were no lions in the video.
  12. Aug 11, 2007 #11
    Ivan already posted this video before marlon. Get with the program.
  13. Aug 11, 2007 #12
    Nobody cares man, nobody cares.

Bye bye

14. Aug 11, 2007 #13
    Its clear to us all that you care very much.

Caio Caio
  15. Aug 11, 2007 #14
    Nope, only YOU !

Just making an observation :wink:

It's Ciao Ciao.

Salut salut !
  16. Aug 11, 2007 #15
    Actually you are correct but hey, i thought the title sounded cool.

17. Aug 11, 2007 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

WELL!!! If you all would follow the YouTube thread you would have seen this days ago. :tongue:
  18. Aug 11, 2007 #17
    I saw your video Ivan. Too bad Marlon cant pay attention.

Auf Wiedersehen Auf Wiedersehen
  19. Aug 11, 2007 #18
    I am sure you TRIPLE checked the spelling on this one.

Tot Ziens Tot Ziens

20. Aug 12, 2007 #19

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

African wild buffalo and baby elephants are the biggest prey for lions. There was once a pretty shocking documentary on National Geographic channel on a pride of lions hunting baby elephants.

A lioness is roughly 140-160 Kg's while a big male buffalo is never less than 500 Kg and could weigh up to 1000 kg. In this case it' really vital for the lionesses to hunt in a team as one lioness couldn't handle a buffalo. And yes, statistically only 25% of the hunts of a lion end up in meals for the whole family, including all possible prey not only buffalos. So what it's there on the youtube it's not something extraordinary, but current daylife in wild Africa.

Even though the tiger is a much more athletic and versatile hunter, the lion is still the king of the jungle.
  21. Aug 13, 2007 #20

Killer whale killing sea lions. Its great. Die stupid sea lions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?