Liouville's Theorem: Sketching Rectangle Motion in px-x Plane

• Thread starter Clau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the motion of phase-space points defined by Hamilton's equations conserves phase-space volume.
Clau

Homework Statement

According to Liouville's theorem, the motion of phase-space points defined by Hamilton's equations conserves phase-space volume. The Hamiltonian for a single particle in one dimension, subjected to a constant force F, is

[tex]H(x,p_{x}) = \frac{p_{x}^2}{2.m} - F.x[/tex]
Consider the phase space rectangle of initial points defined by
0 < x < A and 0 < p < B

Let the points in the rectangle move according to Hamilton's equations for a time t and sketch how the rectangle changes with time in the [tex]p_{x}[/tex]-x plane.

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{d\rho}{dt}= \frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} +\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial q^i}\dot{q}^i +\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial p_i}\dot{p}_i\right)=0. [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting the Hamiltonian from the problem inside the Liouville's equation I can see that the density of particles of this volume is constant.
But, I don't know how to show the movement of this rectangle with time.
I guess that there is no difference...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can be more explicit about picturing the motion of the rectangle for the harmonic oscillator. You know p^2/2m+k*x^2/2=E which is a constant of motion. So the points in phase space move on concentric ellipses. That should make your sketch a little more expressive.

But it was a constant force, not an oscillator, right?

It was some time ago that I did these things, but an approach could be to solve the equations of motion for x and px and then use the corners of the rectangle in phase space as starting conditions for 4 different trajectories. Then you can see where the corners are at time t later and how the phase space volume has evolved... and all points that started inside the rectangle will still be there. Just an idea.

andrew1982 said:
But it was a constant force, not an oscillator, right?

It was some time ago that I did these things, but an approach could be to solve the equations of motion for x and px and then use the corners of the rectangle in phase space as starting conditions for 4 different trajectories. Then you can see where the corners are at time t later and how the phase space volume has evolved... and all points that started inside the rectangle will still be there. Just an idea.

Ooops, you are right! It's not a oscillator. Tracing the motion of the corners is pretty much what I was suggesting - except the trajectories will no longer be ellipses. Be careful not to assume that the boundaries of the region remain straight lines.

Thank you, guys!

So, I'm using the following equations:

[tex]\dot{x}=\frac{dH(x,p_{x})}{dp_{x}} = \frac{p_{x}}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\dot{p}_{x}=-\frac{dH(x,p_{x})}{dx} = F[/tex]

Now I thinking to substitute inside these equations the points of the corners.
(0,0), (A,0), (A,B) and (0,B).

For instance:
(0,0)

[tex]\dot{x}=0[/tex]

[tex]\dot{p}_{x}=F[/tex]

So, there is a variation in the p-axis, but there's no variation in the x-axis (I don't know if this is the right interpretation).

Do you think that I'm going in the right way?
Thanks a lot for your comments.

You have p increasing linearly in time. As p becomes non-zero then the derivative of x becomes non-zero and x becomes nonzero. So saying xdot is zero is only true at a particular time. The physics here is SAME as an object falling in a uniform gravitational field. You know how to solve that, right?

1. What is Liouville's Theorem and how does it relate to rectangle motion in the px-x plane?

Liouville's Theorem is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics that states that the volume of a system's phase space remains constant over time. In the context of rectangle motion in the px-x plane, this means that the area enclosed by the rectangular trajectory in the phase space remains constant as the system evolves.

2. How is rectangle motion in the px-x plane sketched?

To sketch rectangle motion in the px-x plane, one must first plot the position (x) on the x-axis and the momentum (px) on the y-axis. Then, the trajectory of the system is traced out by connecting the points on the graph with straight lines. The resulting shape will be a rectangle with its sides parallel to the x-axis and the y-axis.

3. What is the significance of rectangle motion in the px-x plane?

Rectangle motion in the px-x plane is significant because it represents a conservative system where energy is conserved and no dissipation occurs. This type of motion is commonly seen in simple harmonic oscillators and other systems with periodic behavior.

4. How does Liouville's Theorem apply to real-world systems?

Liouville's Theorem has important implications for real-world systems, particularly in the field of statistical mechanics. It helps us understand the behavior of complex systems by showing that the distribution of particles in phase space remains constant over time, even as the individual particles move and interact with each other.

5. Are there any limitations to using Liouville's Theorem to analyze systems?

While Liouville's Theorem is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of systems, it does have some limitations. It assumes that all particles in a system are distinguishable and have well-defined positions and momenta, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it only applies to conservative systems, so it cannot be used to analyze systems with dissipative forces.