1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Liouville's theorem

1. Nov 10, 2016 #1
    Liouville's theorem states that the total time-derivative of the distribution function is zero along a system trajectory in phase-space. Where the system follows a trajectory that satisfies the Hamilton's equations of motion.

I have a hard time getting an inuitive understanding of this statement. For instance, what does this theorem tell me about a free-falling particle in a gravitational field?

Edit: I assume that the distribution function for a free falling particle would be proportional to a product of delta functions.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Liouville's theorem states that the volume of phase space is unchanged under Hamiltonian flow. That immediately follows from Hamilton's canonical equations. Suppose you have a system with initial conditions ##(q_0,p_0)## (where ##(q,p) \in \mathbb{R}^{2f}## are the phase-space variables) filling a certain infinitesimal volume elemen ##\mathrm{d} \Omega_0## in phase space. With time ##t## the trajectories in phase space are given by
    $$\dot{q}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial p}, \quad \dot{p}=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q}.$$
    The volume element changes with the Jacobian of the transformation ##(q_0,p_0) \rightarrow (q,p)##. Now the time derivative of this determinant is
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d} \Omega}{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{\partial (q,p)}{\partial(q_0,p_0)}=\mathrm{div}_q \dot{q}+\mathrm{div}_p \dot{p} = \mathrm{div}_q \frac{\partial H}{\partial p}-\mathrm{div}_p \frac{\partial H}{\partial q}=\sum_{j=1}^f \left (\frac{\partial}{\partial q^j} \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_j} - \frac{\partial}{\partial p_j} \frac{\partial H}{\partial q^j} \right)=0.$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted