1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lippmann-Schwinger equation

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    This is probably a very stupid question as usual. I don't understand the Lippmann-Schwinger equation.

First we have the Schrödinger equation [tex](H+V)\psi=E\psi[/tex], and we just rearrange it to [tex]\psi=\frac{1}{E-H}V\psi[/tex]. But now, somehow magically this becomes [tex]\psi=\phi+\frac{1}{E-H}V\psi[/tex] where [tex]\phi[/tex] is a solution to [tex]H\phi=E\phi[/tex]. Then we add a little imaginary quantity to the denominator just for the sake of being able to take an integral and let this imaginary quantity go to 0 in the end. This last step is not my problem. My question is: Where does the [tex]\phi[/tex] come from?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you apply the operator [itex]E-H[/itex] to both sides of each equation, [itex]|\psi\rangle=\frac{1}{E-H}V|\psi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\psi\rangle=|\phi\rangle+\frac{1}{E-H}V|\psi\rangle[/itex], you get the same thing in each instance (since [itex](E-H)|\phi\rangle=0[/itex] ), so it appears that either could be the correct solution.

However, you expect that [itex]|\psi\rangle\to|\phi\rangle[/itex] in the limit [itex]V\to0[/itex] and only the second solution satisfies that condition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook