Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lipschitz Continuity and Uniqueness

1. Sep 7, 2005 #1
    Dear all,

If a differential equation is Lipschitz continuous, then the solution is unique. But what about the implication in the other direction? I know that uniqueness does not imply Lipschitz continuity. But is there a counterexample? A differential equation that is not L-continuous, still the solution is unique?
    I would really like to know the answer to this question.
    Thank you all for your help,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2
    Now I have found an answer to my question:

http://archive.numdam.org/ARCHIVE/A..._1996_6_5_4_577_0/ AFST_1996_6_5_4_577_0.pdf

or, rather, Bernis and Qwang have found an answer. However, my differential equation is only of first degree, like

\dot K(t) = F(K(t))

One example would be F(K) = K^\alpha with 0 < \alpha < 1, then you get multiple solutions if you start from K = 0. But that's not surprising, because the differential equation is not Lipschitz continuous in K = 0. My question now would be: Is it possible to have a unique solution even if F were L-continuous in 0?

Thanks, many greetings,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?