1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lipschitz continuity problem

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1
    Let the function
    [tex]f:[0,\infty) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be lipschitz continous with lipschits constant K. Show that over small intervalls [tex] [a,b] \subset [0,\infty) [/tex] the graph has to lie betwen two straight lines with the slopes k and -k.

This is how I have started:

Definition of lipschits continuity [tex]|f(x)-f(y)| \leq k|x-y|[/tex]

[tex]|f(b)-f(a)| \leq k(b-a) \Leftrightarrow -k(b-a) \leq f(b)-f(a) \leq k(b-a)[/tex]

But after this I am a bit stumped. I dont know how to continue:grumpy:
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2006 #2
    Is it enough to just divide all sides with (b-a) to show that the slope of the grap is always less than K and more than -K?? To me it feels like it but I dont know if that is proof enough??
  4. Jun 21, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

Replace b by x in your equations, and restrict x to lie between a and b. Then there is just one step left.
  5. Jun 21, 2006 #4
    like this??

continuing from the last step of post one

[tex] -k(x-a) \leq f(x)-f(a) \leq k(x-a) [/tex] with [tex] a \leq x \leq b[/tex]
    [tex] f(a)-k(x-a) \leq f(x) \leq k(x-a)+f(a) [/tex]

thanks alot!
    that seems to have solved it :)
  6. Jun 21, 2006 #5
    If I want to show the same thing for a local lipschitz continous function(that it lies betwen two straight lines with slope K(a,b) and -K(a,b) where K can be different for different intervalls) how do I proced. It is exactly the same as above but with K replaced with K(a,b) in all places?

so that I instead get as last line
    [tex] f(a)-K(a,x)(x-a) \leq f(x) \leq f(a)+K(a,x)(x-a) [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?