Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lipschitz function

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1

I've been told that a (real) Lipschitz function (|f(x)-f(y)|<M|x-y|, for all x and y) must be differentiable almost everywhere.
    but I don't see how I can prove it.
    anyone has an idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2
    A real lipschitz function is absolutely continuous and hence of bounded variation. These two statements are not too hard to prove. A real function of bounded variation has a finite derivative almost everywhere. This last statement is nontrivial and is a direct consequence of general facts about functions of bounded variation and more importantly the fact that a monotonic function over say a closed interval [a,b] has finite derivative almost everywhere (due to Lebesgue).

For proofs, see if the following link to Introductory Real Analysis by Komogorov and Fomin and Google Books is available:

and refer to chapter 9.

Any text that talks about differentiation and the Lebesgue integral should have the required theorems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook