1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lipschitz Problem

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    Let f(x)=xp Show that f is Lipschitz on every closed sub-interval [a,b] of (0,inf). For which values of p is f uniformly continuous.

So, we know that the map f is said to be Lipschitz iff there is a constant M s.t. |f(p)-f(q)|<=M|p-q|. And we were given the hint to use the Mean Value Theorem from calculus, which states f'(c)=(f(b)-f(a))/(b-a)

I said choose (x,y) existing in [a,b], then |f(x)-f(y)|=|xp-yp|<=M|x-y|. But I am completely stuck here. I'm not sure how to define what M should be.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2
    Think of it geometrically: a Lipschitz constant [tex]M[/tex] is an upper bound for the largest (absolute value) slope of any line cutting the graph of [tex]f[/tex] in two points. The mean value theorem tells you how to estimate that largest slope.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook