Liquefying Nitrogen: Problem w/ Latent Heat at 280.6K

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nitrogen
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's difficulty in finding the latent heat of vaporization at 280.6 K while attempting to liquefy liquid nitrogen. They tried using Trouton's rule, but encountered a domain error. They also discuss the order of components in their system and their attempts to use the inlet condition as a reference for finding the vaporization enthalpy.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396753337.687284.jpg

Sorry for the template not being present, when I use my phone it doesn't show up. I am trying the problem about liquefying liquid nitrogen, and I am having my first problem finding the latent heat of vaporization at 280.6 K. I try using trouton's rule, and I get a domain error because the inside is negative with a power of 0.38.

I can't really tell if my drawing is right, I am assuming that the order in which it enters the system is a throttle valve, then a heat exchanger. Some vapor leaves the system, which is the combined throttle valve and heat exchanger, before entering the heat exchanger. Then, the rest goes through the heat exchanger.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396753366.297172.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396753366.297172.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a new attempt, this time I made the inlet condition the reference. I am still stuck about the vaporization enthalpy using troutons rule and getting a negative number due to the reduced temperature being greater than unity

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396764658.823847.jpg

1. What is the process of liquefying nitrogen?

The process of liquefying nitrogen involves cooling it down to a temperature below its boiling point of 77.3K (-195.8°C) and applying pressure to force it to condense into a liquid state.

2. What is the latent heat of nitrogen at 280.6K?

The latent heat of nitrogen at 280.6K (7.6°C) is 199.1 kJ/kg. This is the amount of energy required to convert one kilogram of nitrogen gas into liquid nitrogen at the same temperature.

3. Why is there a problem with the latent heat at 280.6K?

The problem with the latent heat at 280.6K is that it is significantly higher than at the boiling point of nitrogen (77.3K). This means that it requires a lot more energy to liquefy nitrogen at this temperature, making the process less efficient and more costly.

4. How is the problem with the latent heat at 280.6K typically addressed?

The problem with the latent heat at 280.6K is usually addressed by using a multi-stage cooling process. This involves cooling the nitrogen gas in stages, with each stage operating at a lower temperature and pressure, until it reaches a temperature close to its boiling point. This reduces the amount of energy required to liquefy the nitrogen gas.

5. What are the potential applications of liquefied nitrogen?

Liquefied nitrogen has a wide range of applications, including as a refrigerant in cryogenic systems, in the production of fertilizers and chemicals, and as a coolant in various industries. It is also used in cryotherapy for medical treatments, and in the preservation of biological samples and food products.