Designing Liquid Delivery System with Servo Motors

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a liquid delivery system and the need for a metering pump to handle liquids of varying volumes. Suggestions are made to use a servo motor or a peristaltic pump, and resources are provided for finding suppliers. The cost of a metering pump is estimated to be a few hundred to a thousand dollars without controls.
hanson
Hi all.
I am designing a liquid delivery system that should handle liquids of volume like twenty ml to a hundred ml.
Ordinary pumps would not work here.
I am thinking of using a servo motor.
But I would need to control the speed as well as displacement of the servo motor, is it possible?

What else would you suggest?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you, Q_Goest.
I will search over the suppliers for more information.
But do you know if these metering pumps can pump liquid to small amounts like twenty ml to a hundred ml?
And how much would such a pump usually cost? A range will be enough.

Last edited:
Hi hanson,
The metering pumps I've seen are generally very small and would meet your needs. There are much larger ones, but I think the smaller ones are generally used in pharmaceutical industry and other places where a small but precise amount of liquid is desired. I don't use them myself, but I do design various types of pumps. If I had to guess, I'd suspect what you're looking for is on the order of a few hundred to a thousand dollars without controls.

1. How do servo motors work in liquid delivery systems?

Servo motors are small, self-contained electric motors that use feedback to control their movements. In a liquid delivery system, the servo motor is connected to a valve that controls the flow of liquid. The motor receives signals from a control system, which tells it how much to open or close the valve to achieve the desired flow rate.

2. What are the advantages of using servo motors in liquid delivery systems?

Servo motors offer precise control over the flow of liquid, which is crucial in industries where accurate measurements are necessary. They also have a high torque-to-weight ratio, making them compact and efficient. Additionally, servo motors are highly reliable and have a long lifespan, making them a cost-effective choice for liquid delivery systems.

3. How are servo motors integrated into liquid delivery systems?

Servo motors are typically integrated into liquid delivery systems by mounting them on or near the valve that controls the flow of liquid. The motor is then connected to the valve through a coupling or other mechanical linkage. The control system sends signals to the motor, which rotates the valve to achieve the desired flow rate.

4. What types of liquids can be delivered using servo motors?

Servo motors can be used to deliver a wide range of liquids, including water, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and food products. However, the type of liquid being delivered may affect the materials used in the valve and other components of the liquid delivery system.

5. How can servo motors improve the efficiency of liquid delivery systems?

By providing precise control over the flow of liquid, servo motors can help improve the efficiency of liquid delivery systems. They can also reduce waste and minimize the risk of spills or leaks. Additionally, servo motors can be integrated into automated systems, allowing for remote control and monitoring of liquid delivery processes.