Solving the Liquid Density Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a puzzle involving the density of liquid and three differently sized cubes. The participants use simultaneous equations and Archimedes' principle to determine the density of the liquid and conclude that it is twice as dense as a cube. They also discuss alternative methods for finding the density of the cubes and conclude that the original method is the most effective.
Chewy0087
[Solved] Liquid Density Puzzle

Homework Statement

physicsproblem.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I think there's an assumption here that I'm missing, firstly I worked out how big each cube was by setting up simple simultaneous equations which gave me;

Green = 0.21m Red = 0.14m & Blue = 0.28m

And also Green + Red + Blue = 20kg. From here I'm stuck, I've thought about putting them all together giving me a volume of;

21^3 * 10^-6 + 14^3 * 10^-6 + 28^3 * 10-^6
=9261 +10^-6 + 2744 *10^-6 + 21952 * 10^-6
= 33957 * 10^-6 = 3.3957 * 10^-2 m³

Giving them all a density of 20 / that, but I'm sure it's a dead end =|, can anyone else see a better way of doing this?/An assumption that I'm missing?

thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From Archimedes' principle, the fact that the cubes are all exactly half-submerged suggests that the glowing liquid is twice as dense as a cube. (Do you understand why?)

Hmmm, would that be because half of the volume of the cube of the liquid can support the whole of the cube? :O

However, even given that, how would you work the density of the cube out? Or still do it my way by putting them all together?

Thanks a bunch for the help >.< but i really need to understand this

Chewy0087 said:
Hmmm, would that be because half of the volume of the cube of the liquid can support the whole of the cube? :O

Yes. This conclusion follows directly from Archimedes' principle, which states that the volume of liquid displaced has a weight that is equal to the weight of the portion of the object submerged.

Chewy0087 said:
However, even given that, how would you work the density of the cube out? Or still do it my way by putting them all together?

Considering that you have the total mass and the total volume of the cubes, your method seems good. I can't think of a better way off the top of my head.

Thanks again, you rock :P

1. What is the Liquid Density Puzzle?

The Liquid Density Puzzle is a scientific experiment used to demonstrate the concept of density. It involves creating layers of different liquids with varying densities, which can be observed and analyzed.

2. How do you perform the Liquid Density Puzzle?

To perform the Liquid Density Puzzle, you will need a clear container, various liquids with different densities (such as water, oil, and rubbing alcohol), and food coloring (optional). Begin by pouring the heaviest liquid (usually water) into the container, followed by the next heaviest liquid, and so on. The liquids should form distinct layers due to their varying densities. You can also add food coloring to each layer for a more visually appealing result.

3. What is the purpose of the Liquid Density Puzzle?

The purpose of the Liquid Density Puzzle is to demonstrate the concept of density, which is the measure of how much matter is contained in a certain volume. By creating distinct layers of liquids with different densities, the experiment allows for a visual representation of how density affects the placement of objects in a liquid.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Liquid Density Puzzle?

The concept of density is important in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. The Liquid Density Puzzle can help students better understand how density affects the behavior of liquids and how this concept is applied in real-world situations, such as in the design of ships and submarines.

5. Are there any variations of the Liquid Density Puzzle?

Yes, there are many variations of the Liquid Density Puzzle that can be performed using different liquids and materials. Some experiments involve creating layers of solids with different densities, while others use liquids with the same density but different viscosities. There are also more complex experiments that involve creating multiple layers with different densities and observing their interactions.