Liquid Distribution Problem -

In summary, the conversation discusses a liquid distribution problem faced by a mechanical engineer designing a liquid transferring device. The device has one large 13mm inlet that leads to twelve 4mm diameter tubes, each with eight 3mm diameter outlets. The problem is finding the optimal inlet and outlet pressure and diameter to evenly distribute water throughout the device. Suggestions are made to look into designing a distribution manifold and using a back press to make all outlets equal, as well as modifying the design to include a plenum.
GuccYi
Liquid Distribution Problem -- please help

Hello guys, I'm a mechanical engineer fresh out the college.
I'm designing a liquid transferring device, and really really need some advice/help.

So, my device right now has one 13mm diameter inlet that divides into twelve 4mm diameter “tubes” which are 77mm long, and the each tube have eight 3mm diameter outlets which are 9mm apart.
Simply put, there is 1 big 13mm inlet that leads to 96 small 3mm outlets.

My problem right now is that I don’t know where to start off to find the optimal inlet pressure/diameter as well as the optimal outlet diameter in order to transfer/distribute water throughout the device evenly. The outlet pressure doesn't matter for my application, but it just needs to dispense the water evenly throughout all the outlets.

How could I approach this problem? Am I just missing a really simple point, or could it be a pretty tough problem? I’m thinking that the first thing that needs to be solved is the optimal pressure needed in order to push the water through 77mm “tube” all the way up to the last (8th) hole.

Thank you so much for your time!

-Guccyi

Engineering news on Phys.org
GuccYi said:
Hello guys, I'm a mechanical engineer fresh out the college.
I'm designing a liquid transferring device, and really really need some advice/help.

So, my device right now has one 13mm diameter inlet that divides into twelve 4mm diameter “tubes” which are 77mm long, and the each tube have eight 3mm diameter outlets which are 9mm apart.
Simply put, there is 1 big 13mm inlet that leads to 96 small 3mm outlets.

My problem right now is that I don’t know where to start off to find the optimal inlet pressure/diameter as well as the optimal outlet diameter in order to transfer/distribute water throughout the device evenly. The outlet pressure doesn't matter for my application, but it just needs to dispense the water evenly throughout all the outlets.

How could I approach this problem? Am I just missing a really simple point, or could it be a pretty tough problem? I’m thinking that the first thing that needs to be solved is the optimal pressure needed in order to push the water through 77mm “tube” all the way up to the last (8th) hole.

Thank you so much for your time!

-Guccyi
Look up in the literature how to design "distribution manifolds." Most distribution manifolds involve gas, for which you can neglect viscous pressure variations. But, for water, you may also need to consider frictional pressure variations. You are basically dealing with a fluid mechanics problem.

The tubes are going to experience a pressure drop as the fluid leaks from the outlets, so to get uniform outflow, there needs to be larger outlets as the pressure drops. Also, it is often quite difficult to get flows to partition equally between a lot of little tubes. Not sure that this is easily modeled, it may take trial and error.

Could the design be modified to have a plenum after the inlet sort of like a shower head to feed the 96 small outlets?

etudiant said:
The tubes are going to experience a pressure drop as the fluid leaks from the outlets, so to get uniform outflow, there needs to be larger outlets as the pressure drops. Also, it is often quite difficult to get flows to partition equally between a lot of little tubes. Not sure that this is easily modeled, it may take trial and error.

Could the design be modified to have a plenum after the inlet sort of like a shower head to feed the 96 small outlets?
Your use of the term plenum is the same as what I was referring to when I mentioned a distribution manifold. The basic concept in designing distribution manifolds is to make the pressure variations within the manifold small compared to the pressure drops through the outlet tubes. The pressure variations within the manifold can be determined by various approximations or by use of CFD. The pressure drops through the outlet tubes are easier to calculate. One just needs to make the manifold large enough so that the uniformity of flow through the outlets meets specifications.

use a back press , this way make all outlet = . By placing a sized tip at the end of all the line .

heyland said:
use a back press , this way make all outlet = . By placing a sized tip at the end of all the line .

how long does the tip need to be? Or how long the tip need to be far apart from the wall (ceiling)?

Chestermiller said:
Look up in the literature how to design "distribution manifolds." Most distribution manifolds involve gas, for which you can neglect viscous pressure variations. But, for water, you may also need to consider frictional pressure variations. You are basically dealing with a fluid mechanics problem.

where could i find the literature...?

etudiant said:

i could, but I am not quite sure how the plenum works. and wouldn't the outlets need to be smaller, not larger?

Thank you.

-guccyi

1. What is the Liquid Distribution Problem?

The Liquid Distribution Problem is a mathematical problem in which a certain amount of liquid must be distributed evenly among a given number of containers. The goal is to determine the minimum number of steps needed to achieve this distribution.

2. What are the applications of the Liquid Distribution Problem?

The Liquid Distribution Problem has various real-world applications, including in chemical engineering, water resource management, and logistics. It can also be used to optimize the distribution of resources in a network or transportation system.

3. What are the different approaches to solving the Liquid Distribution Problem?

There are several approaches to solving the Liquid Distribution Problem, including the greedy algorithm, dynamic programming, and linear programming. Each approach has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method will depend on the specific problem at hand.

4. What are the main challenges in solving the Liquid Distribution Problem?

The main challenges in solving the Liquid Distribution Problem include identifying the optimal distribution strategy, handling large amounts of data, and accounting for practical constraints such as container capacities and flow rates. It also requires a good understanding of mathematical modeling and optimization techniques.

5. How is the Liquid Distribution Problem related to other optimization problems?

The Liquid Distribution Problem is closely related to other optimization problems, such as the knapsack problem and the assignment problem. These problems all involve finding the most efficient solution from a set of possibilities, and can often be solved using similar techniques.