Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liquid/gas condensation vs temperaure increase

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    Hi Experts

I am trying to fully understand what is going on here so please be patient (and I'm far too old for it to be homework :D ).

If I have a container of fixed volume (V1), filled with a gas in two states, think CO2/propane/butane etc, at a temperature T1. I now add a volume of identical gas (V2) at a slightly higher temperature (T2).

My understanding is that some of the gas will condense, releasing its heat burden (?), and that the overall temperature/pressure will increase. So several questions occur.

How much of the gas will condense to liquid when the extra gas is added ?

Does the liquid gas temperature increase ? If so by how much - I presume its related to the number of molecules which change to the liquid state and the density of the liquid.

I assume that the vapour temperature will also increase due to the increase in pressure caused by the rise in temperature, but whether that would just cause more liquid condensation I'm not sure.

I'm hoping someone can clarify or simplify what's happening here. It seems to me that the addition of gas causes multiple effects (condensation/pressure increase/ temperature change) which seem to interact with each other to (almost) cause multiple solutions as to their values.

Many thanks for helping me with this.

Best Regards

bitman

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted