1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liquid Mechanics Question

1. Oct 4, 2004 #1
    If I have a container, filled with water, and a hole is cut in the side at some distance h from the top, how do I go about finding the distance R from the foot of the container that the stream will impact the floor? Do I use Bernouilli's Equation: P1 + ½ pv12 + pgy1 = P2 + ½ pv22 + pgy2 Where P = pressure at depth h, p = density of fluid, and y1 & y2 are = two heights about surface. Or is there another way?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1.By Benoulli, you find the velocity by which the fluid leaves the container (Torricellis law).
    2. Use projectile motion to determine R (you'll need to know how high above the ground the hole is)

4. Oct 4, 2004 #3
    If v = (2gh)^1/2, then we turn to use the kinematic equations. y = H(height from top water level to floor)-h(height of top water level to hole in side of container), we know g, all we're missing is the original velocity, time, and acceleration. Is there something I'm missing?

5. Oct 5, 2004 #4
    Your not missing anything. If you have the velocity, the rest is just simple kinematics.

6. Oct 5, 2004 #5
    I get R = ((2gh)^(1/2))*t, is this correct?

7. Oct 6, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As long as "t" is the time it takes to reach the ground, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?