Determining Capacity of Liquid Nitrogen Supply System

In summary, the conversation is about determining the capacity of an existing Nitrogen supply system at a thermal power plant. The size of the liquid Nitrogen tank is 8m^3. To determine the amount of gas that can be produced from the expansion of the liquid, the density of LN2 at its boiling point is considered. The atomic weight of nitrogen is 14 g/mole, which means a mole of nitrogen gas weighs 28 g. This information is used to calculate the amount of gas produced at STP. The conversation ends with the clarification that the molar volume is obtained from the ideal gas law and thanks for the help in understanding the process.
Avis
Im working on an exisiting Ntirogen supply system that's used to blanket boilers and pipelines etc. at a thermal power plant. I am trying to determine the capacity of the system. I have determined the size of the liquid ntrogen tank to be 8m^3 but I'm lost on how to determine the amount of gas that can be produced from the expansion of the liquid.

I'd like to assume Normal conditions. 0 celcius 1atm.

Any Ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The density of LN2 at its boiling point (from Wikipedia) is 0.808 g/cm^3. If you have 8 m^3, this is 8*10^6 cm^3, so this is about 6.5 * 10^6 g. This is 6.5 tons - must be a big tank! Since N2 is 28 g/mole, this is 2.3 * 10^5 moles. At STP of 0 Celsius and atmospheric pressure, each mole occupies 22.4 liters, so this would be 5.2 * 10^6 liters.

phyzguy said:
The density of LN2 at its boiling point (from Wikipedia) is 0.808 g/cm^3. If you have 8 m^3, this is 8*10^6 cm^3, so this is about 6.5 * 10^6 g. This is 6.5 tons - must be a big tank! Since N2 is 28 g/mole, this is 2.3 * 10^5 moles. At STP of 0 Celsius and atmospheric pressure, each mole occupies 22.4 liters, so this would be 5.2 * 10^6 liters.

Where did you come up with the mole density?

The atomic weight of nitrogen is 14 g/mole - this is something you look up in the periodic table. Since Nitrogen gas is N2, a mole of nitrogen gas weighs 28 g.

Sorry, I ment molar volume. I know realize that its from the idea gas law.

Thanks for the help, this all makes sense now!

1. What is the purpose of determining the capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system?

The purpose of determining the capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system is to ensure that there is enough liquid nitrogen available to meet the needs and demands of the intended use. This information is crucial for proper planning and management of the supply system.

2. How is the capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system measured?

The capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system is typically measured in terms of volume or weight. Volume is measured in liters or gallons, while weight is measured in kilograms or pounds. The specific method of measurement may vary depending on the type of supply system being used.

3. What factors should be considered when determining the capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system?

Several factors should be considered when determining the capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system. These include the intended use of the system, the frequency of use, the rate of consumption, and the storage and handling capabilities. Other factors such as safety regulations and cost may also play a role in determining the capacity.

4. Can the capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system be increased?

Yes, the capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system can be increased by adding additional storage tanks or upgrading to a larger supply system. However, this should be done carefully and with proper planning to ensure that the system can handle the increased capacity safely and effectively.

5. How often should the capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system be checked?

The capacity of a liquid nitrogen supply system should be checked regularly, especially if there are any changes in usage or demand. It is recommended to check the capacity at least once a year or whenever there are significant changes in the factors that affect the system's capacity.