Calculating Water Speed & Flow from a Hose

In summary, the speed of the water as it leaves the hose is 7 m/s and approximately 7.5 liters of water come out in 1 minute. The equation used to find the speed is v^2 = 2gh, where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height the water reaches (2.5m). To find the amount of water that comes out in 1 minute, one would need to know the flow rate of the hose.
Jacob87411
A Hose shoots water straight up for a distance of 2.5m. The end opening on the hose has an area of .75cm^2. (A) What is the speed of the water as it leaves the hose? (B) How much water comes out in 1 minute.

If I have A i can find B, I just can't figure out how to find A. I know gravity is going to be what is pulling it down, I just am unsure of what equation to use. I was thinking maybe Bernouli's Equation but not positive, any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the water as any other "projectile". What speed does a projectile need to rise up that distance?

Sorry for lack of symbols, still figuring it out how to work them all but..

Y = Y0 + V0T + -1/2GT^2

Y0 = Original Height
V0 = Original Velocity

So..

2.5 = V0 - .5(9.8)

So 2.5 + 4.9 which is 7.4?

I may of mixed up the equation, forgot book in my locker which is part of the problem

Jacob87411 said:
Y = Y0 + V0T + -1/2GT^2

Y0 = Original Height
V0 = Original Velocity
That equation relates distance and time. But you aren't given the time.

You need a kinematic equation that relates distance and speed.

V^2 = V0^2 - 2aY or
V^2 = V0^2 + 2a(Y1 - Y0)

The water at its very peak V will equal 0 won't it? So..

0 = V0^2 - 2(9.8)(2.5 - 0)
0 = V0^2 - 49
V0^2 = 49
V0 = 7

Right! But don't forget units: 7 m/s.

Thanks a lot, i really appreciate it

A comment...I'd do that problem by considering a small "piece" of the fluid, finding its potential energy at its maximum height (m*g*h), and equating that to its initial kinetic energy.

An excellent approach which leads to the exact same equation:
[itex]mgh = 1/2mv^2[/itex] => [itex]v^2 = 2gh[/itex]

1. How do you calculate water speed from a hose?

To calculate water speed from a hose, you will need to measure the diameter of the hose and the flow rate of the water. Then, use the formula: Speed = Flow rate / (π * (diameter/2)^2). This will give you the speed of the water coming out of the hose in feet per second.

2. What is the flow rate of a hose?

The flow rate of a hose is the volume of water that passes through the hose in a certain amount of time. It is typically measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per minute (LPM).

3. How do you measure the flow rate of a hose?

To measure the flow rate of a hose, you can use a flow meter or a bucket and a stopwatch. With a flow meter, simply attach it to the hose and it will give you the flow rate. If using a bucket and stopwatch, fill the bucket with water from the hose for one minute and measure the volume of water. The flow rate will be the volume of water divided by 1 minute.

4. What affects the water speed and flow from a hose?

The water speed and flow from a hose can be affected by several factors, including the diameter and length of the hose, the water pressure, and any obstructions or kinks in the hose. The type and size of the nozzle can also impact the water speed and flow.

5. How can I increase the water speed and flow from a hose?

To increase the water speed and flow from a hose, you can try using a larger diameter hose, removing any obstructions or kinks, and increasing the water pressure. Using a nozzle with a smaller opening can also help to increase the speed and flow of water from the hose.