Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liquid To solid

1. Apr 28, 2011 #1
    Name a substance that will change from liquid state to solid state on heating.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2011 #2
    And remaining chemically unchanged? Nothing does that.

You could have your ceramics which change from a liquid structure to a solid structure, but that's with the formation of bonds on heating and all that.

4. Apr 28, 2011 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

eggy-weggy :biggrin:

5. Apr 28, 2011 #4

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first thing that came to my mind was concrete, but that is a chemical reaction and doesn't really count.

Is it possible for some sort of solid solution to have a liquid phase at a lower temperature than a solid phase? E.g. one component of the solution precipitates out with increasing temperature while the other component turns to liquid?

6. Apr 28, 2011 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is possible, even for reversible transformations. It's only required that the high-temperature phase (the solid) has a higher entropy than the low-temperature phase (the liquid). As you can imagine, this is pretty unusual. I seem to remember that it's been demonstrated in some carefully designed polymer systems, though. Will look to see if I can find the details.

7. Apr 28, 2011 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You read my mind. :biggrin:

8. Apr 29, 2011 #7
    Changes chemically :)

9. Apr 29, 2011 #8

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Like!

10. May 2, 2011 #9

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, I found it: Plazanet et al., "Freezing on heating of liquid solutions," J Chem Phys 121:5031 p5031 (2004), discussed here. But a look at the subsequent literature indicates that the physics is still being worked out.

11. May 2, 2011 #10

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting, although it sounds like that is still just a chemical reaction, although notably a reversible one.

12. May 2, 2011 #11

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, or put another way, a multi-component system (with additional factors such as mutual solubility) rather than a single-component system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?