Liquid To solid

1. Name a substance that will change from liquid state to solid state on heating.

2. jcsd
  3. And remaining chemically unchanged? Nothing does that.

You could have your ceramics which change from a liquid structure to a solid structure, but that's with the formation of bonds on heating and all that.

4. tiny-tim

tiny-tim 26,041
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

eggy-weggy :biggrin:

5. QuantumPion

QuantumPion 875
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first thing that came to my mind was concrete, but that is a chemical reaction and doesn't really count.

Is it possible for some sort of solid solution to have a liquid phase at a lower temperature than a solid phase? E.g. one component of the solution precipitates out with increasing temperature while the other component turns to liquid?

6. Mapes

Mapes 2,532
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is possible, even for reversible transformations. It's only required that the high-temperature phase (the solid) has a higher entropy than the low-temperature phase (the liquid). As you can imagine, this is pretty unusual. I seem to remember that it's been demonstrated in some carefully designed polymer systems, though. Will look to see if I can find the details.

7. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,439
    Gold Member

You read my mind. :biggrin:

8. Changes chemically :)

9. Andy Resnick

Andy Resnick 6,009
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Like!

10. Mapes

Mapes 2,532
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, I found it: Plazanet et al., "Freezing on heating of liquid solutions," J Chem Phys 121:5031 p5031 (2004), discussed here. But a look at the subsequent literature indicates that the physics is still being worked out.

11. QuantumPion

QuantumPion 875
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting, although it sounds like that is still just a chemical reaction, although notably a reversible one.

12. Mapes

Mapes 2,532
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, or put another way, a multi-component system (with additional factors such as mutual solubility) rather than a single-component system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?