1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liquid Viscosity

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

I am researching the viscosity of different liquids. I want to use an acoustic method to determine the acoustic viscosity. In some readings I figured that this can be done by using two Piezo sensors. The two sensors are inserted into water, liquid, etc. Transmit sensor (sensor A) emits a specific frequency in the liquid and receive sensor (sensor B) receives a frequency. For example if a sensor A transmits a frequency of 100 Hz and sensor B receives a frequency of 85 Hz. But I want to know how can use that different frequencies to determine the viscosity of that particular liquid. Also I think the temperature of of the liquid can affect its viscosity. For example water at room temp (25 Celsius) may have a different viscosity then water at 75 Celsius. Also I know that Shear stress and Shear strain play a part in determining viscosity but how can i tie this into the use of the frequencies.

Thanks in Advance...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted