1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liquified Natural Gas

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1
    Hello I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if some people can help me in trying to get some answers.

I am involved in alternative fuels and it has come up where an engineer is telling me that there is 185btus/lb inside of a 100 gallon vehiculer tank. He is using a bueauro of standard empathy chart or something to get that number.

This confuses me because i don't understand how a cryogenic liquid that is about -200 F has that much btu's. in total, at a density of 3.0. There is 300 pounds of LNG and this =
    55,500 btu's. Is this correct? From my research one gallon of LNG has the btu potential if burned of about 75,000 btu's.

I really think this engineer i am working with is blowing smoke up my butt, wondering if some people can shed some light on this.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted