Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lisa Randall's relaxation principle

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    Hello all,

I recently came across Karch and Randall's 2005 paper ``Relaxing to three dimensions''
    http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0506053 that uses brane theory to propose an explanation for why we see 3+1 dimensions, assuming we begin with the 10 of string theory. From the abstract:

``We show that under conventional (but higher-dimensional) FRW evolution, a universe filled with equal NUMBERS of branes and antibranes will naturally come to be dominated by 3-branes and 7-branes.'' (caps mine)

The basic idea is the relaxation principle, which states:

``that the branes with the biggest filling fraction in the end-point of the universe's cosmological evolution are the most likely branes to be relevant to the state in which we live''

My question is this: what is the definition of ``filling fraction'', and what does ``most likely'' mean? It seems to me that she is saying that 3-branes are simply more numerous than other branes, and defining the likelihood of p-branes as being proportional to the number of p-branes (well, I suppose measure might be more appropriate than number). This definition of `likeliness' of branes makes no reference to, say, the wavefunction of a brane, so she is using a classical (not quantum) concept of probability.

OTOH, I might be completely missing something. Comments?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted