Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lissajous Curve in 3d

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to figure out how to do a Lissajous Curve in 3d. It has a 2d shape in the real world, so if it's in the real world, then there must be a 3d shape to it.

Here is the crazy version, it has 8 variants of the last pic layered and it's at 45 45 0
    attachment.php?attachmentid=58007&stc=1&d=1366341051.jpg

This is the one above and it is at 0 0 0
    attachment.php?attachmentid=58008&stc=1&d=1366341051.jpg

Here is my version of that Lissajous by itself.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=58009&stc=1&d=1366341051.jpg

There are a million different ways to make pretty shapes out of that curve, but I'm pretty sure there is only one way it can be represented in 3d if it is to represent a real world example.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why? Do you not believe in flat things? Yes, in the real world even a piece of thin paper has some thickness, so technically you are right, but I think you are carrying the concept to a point where it does not helpfully go.

Why? Why should it have ANY 3D representation?

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3
    You're talking about a math function, I'm talking about something real. It is made with light. Some guy used two mirrors to make it. It's in 2d because it was viewed in 2d as it reflected off the wall. As I understand it there is a way to slow down light in a vacuum. Maybe I can see a 3d representation that way. But I'm thinking it wont work because a photon is to small to see?

It's a wave function that uses binomial distribution. From what I understand quantum physics uses probability, and binomial distribution is part of probability. So I'm thinking there is a connection and I want to understand it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58024&stc=1&d=1366379070.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  5. Apr 21, 2013 #4
    Yup, I'm right. Apparently there was an experiment done a long long time ago. A professor told me the 3d version of the x,z or y,z plane is itself a Lissajous figure. So that makes those figures above correct. Unfortunately this means this stuff is already known. And since it's already known then it's been done and it does not need to be redone. If anyone knows who did this experiment in 3D, I would very much like to know. The professor that talked to me was unsure about the details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook