1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lissajou's figure

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem in which I have difficulty has been posted as an attachment. It is based on Lissajou's figure. In the given problem, the ratio of the frequency is 1:2 but nothing has been mentioned about the phase difference. As far as my knowledge goes, the corresponding Lissajou's figure can either be a parabola or a figure of eight. The difficulty that I am facing is that, both the options are given. Is there any additional information that I have failed to notice in the question? Any help is most welcome.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If it were a figure 8, which way would the figure 8 be oriented?

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    As I read the question, three could be more than 1 correct option, but take good look
    at that figure 8.

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4
    Do u mean that the figure 8 should have been aligned in the horizontal plane? Hence the more appropriate answer is the parabola. Am I heading in the right direction now?

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's not a parabola, but about the figure 8, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook