What's Your Favorite Discipline in Biology?

In summary: Pharmacology is not a biology discipline, but a separate field of study that involves the study of drugs and their effects on living organisms. However, it does have overlap with some aspects of biology, such as studying the mechanisms of action of drugs on cells and tissues.
chesterdaly
What is your favorite biology discipline and why?

What is your favorite biology discipline and why?

General subfields within biology

Anatomy | Bioinformatics | Botany | Ecology | Evolutionary biology | Genetics | Marine biology | Human biology | Cell biology | Microbiology | Molecular biology | Biochemistry | Origin of life | Paleontology | Physiology | Taxonomy | Astrobiology | Zoology

http://www.answers.com/List-of-biology-disciplines

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Bioengineering?

cronxeh said:
Bioengineering?

http://www.answers.com/bioengineering

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a question here?

I think we're being asked to list as many biology disciplines we can think of.

misskitty said:
I think we're being asked to list as many biology disciplines we can think of.

If you follow the link, it's pretty comprehensive. You can always make up more that combine subdisciplines into new disciplines, but I'm failing to see the point of this thread. Some context to the intent of the OP would be useful.

Edit: Never mind, the OP has been edited to clarify they want to know our favorites.

Last edited:
I'm in 11th grade and have no idea what I want do, but I know it will involve science. And I have a science project to do and I'm killing some time on here until I think of something. And for some reason I can't get my smiley face to work :)

Biophysics
Computational Biology

Genomics, Transcriptomics, Proteomics, Metabolomics, Interactomics :tongue:

Biology is starting to become a large-scale science like physics did at the beginning of the 20th century.

Forgot to mention Synthetic Biology.

more biological disiplines?

phytopathology (which include these subdisciplines bacteriology, virology, nematology and mycology) :smile:

Pharmacology ?

1. What is the purpose of a list of biology disciplines?

A list of biology disciplines is meant to provide a comprehensive overview of the various subfields and topics within the broader field of biology. It can help researchers, students, and other individuals understand the diverse areas of study within biology and the connections between them.

2. How are biology disciplines categorized within the list?

The disciplines are typically categorized based on their focus and approach to studying living organisms. This can include fields such as molecular biology, evolutionary biology, ecology, and physiology. Additionally, some lists may also include interdisciplinary fields like bioinformatics or biotechnology.

3. Are there any emerging or newly recognized biology disciplines?

Yes, as our understanding of the natural world and technology advances, new disciplines within biology continue to emerge. Some examples of relatively new fields include synthetic biology, systems biology, and astrobiology.

4. How can I determine which biology discipline is the best fit for my research interests?

The best way to determine which discipline aligns with your research interests is to read about the different areas of biology and their specific research focuses. You can also consult with a mentor or advisor who can provide guidance and help you narrow down your options.

5. Can one biology discipline overlap with another?

Yes, there can be significant overlap between different biology disciplines, especially as many topics and research questions require an interdisciplinary approach. For example, evolutionary biology may draw on principles from genetics, ecology, and paleontology, while biophysics combines biology and physics to study biological processes at a molecular level.