Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

List of books?

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    Is there a good general list of books on biology? I would like to start self study routine but I don't know what books to buy. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The standard modern textbook in cell & moleular biology is "Molecular biology of the cell" by Alberts et. al. I can also recommend "On Growth and Form" (Thompson) and "Medical Physiology" (Boron and Boulpaep) as being especially well-written and comprehensive. I'm not sure what books are used for plant biology....

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

What level is your understanding of biology and are there any areas you are particularly interested in? Alberts as Andy says is pretty standard though it focuses on cell biology and biochemistry.

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    Good, thank you. I'm getting a copy of Andy's and perhaps the others. I am particularly interested on neuroscience, mainly interested in understanding how our brain processes the vision. What are the good books for this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook