Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

List your phobia!

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    http://www.phobialist.com/#A

Hey everyone, look them up at the above link and list your phobia, unless you have glossophobia that is (not sure if that word really fits, it means fear of speaking or trying to speak in public).

Looks like I have Arachnephobia, Acrophobia (Altophobia and Hypsiphobia seem to mean the same), and Lygophobia. Strange, many of these seem to have two different words for the same fear.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2
    we had a list like this before once, but this one has more.

mine is Myrmecophobia!

4. Jan 25, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If I had a fear, it would be outliving my children. Other than that, I have no fear.

5. Jan 25, 2006 #4
    I'm claustrophobic and slightly acrophobic.

6. Jan 25, 2006 #5
    I had a pretty strong fear of heights(acrophobia) when I was young, but I got over that by forcing myself to climb trees etc. Now the only thing I fear is fear itself which I believe has a name, hmm where was that link again:wink:

Ah yes counterphobia: the fear of fearful situations.

7. Jan 25, 2006 #6
    Mine is Atychiphobia (fear of failure),

8. Jan 25, 2006 #7
    Hmm somehow I don't think that is what FDR meant by his quote.

I am chronophobic.

9. Jan 26, 2006 #8
    Ligophobia: the fear of discovering gravitational waves.

10. Jan 26, 2006 #9
    Everyone fears fearful situations to some extent or another unless your nuts or a danger freak: that's not what I was refering to.

11. Jan 26, 2006 #10
    the last girl i dated had a gastropod mollusk phobia.
    she was paralized with fear when she saw a slug.... i think this phobia is so wierd they havent got a name for it :tongue2: atleast they didnt write it on that list.

12. Jan 26, 2006 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

My favorite phobia (though said by some to be a made-up word) is aibohphobia- the fear of palindromes

13. Jan 26, 2006 #12
    :rofl:

aibohp
    phobia

14. Jan 26, 2006 #13
    I'm annoyed with the letters "ph" occuring so often. I think we should adopt the Greek letter [tex]\phi[/tex] in its place.

[tex]\mbox{aibo}\phi\mbox{obia}[/tex]

15. Jan 26, 2006 #14

Mk

Most of my phobias aren't on there...

I have a mild fear of spiders, deep water, and heights. Oh man... I do not like to look over the edge of big boats, especially not spider-infested ones :surprised !!

16. Jan 26, 2006 #15
    Perhaps I misread your post. It seemed like you were equating counterphobia with the fear described in FDR's "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" quote, which was what I was disagreeing on.

17. Jan 26, 2006 #16
    These are the only ones I have:
    Alektorophobia- Fear of chickens.
    Anuptaphobia- Fear of staying single.
    Autodysomophobia- Fear of one that has a vile odor.
    Bathophobia- Fear of depth.
    Cathisophobia- Fear of sitting.
    Coitophobia- Fear of coitus.
    Coprastasophobia- Fear of constipation.
    Defecaloesiophobia- Fear of painful bowels movements.(a warranted phobia)
    Dutchphobia- Fear of the Dutch.
    Erotophobia- Fear of sexual love or sexual questions.
    Helminthophobia- Fear of being infested with worms.(I didn't have this phobia til I heard about it, but it's a good one to have)
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-AAIIEE!! Fear of long words.(this one's really screwed up)
    Lutraphobia- Fear of otters.(remember jug band christmas? shiver)
    Medomalacuphobia- Fear of losing an erection.
    Oneirogmophobia- Fear of wet dreams.
    Phobophobia- Fear of phobias.
    Porphyrophobia- Fear of the color purple.(I hated that book)
    Walloonphobia- Fear of the Walloons.(I don't know what a walloon is and I don't want to)
    Zemmiphobia- Fear of the great mole rat.

That's about it.

18. Jan 26, 2006 #17
    you fear being single? sexual love? wet dreams? losing an erection? you sure you're the same tribdog? that doesn't sound like you at all! hmmm... when you think about it, it seems like you can really lump that all together... fear of the inevitable. whats the word for that?

19. Jan 26, 2006 #18
    what did you expect after you called late at night to let me know how far away you are right before going to bed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006
  20. Jan 26, 2006 #19
    Hahaha! Irony at its best!

21. Jan 27, 2006 #20
    Agateophobia- Fear of insanity. I don't need to worry about this, since I can't truly fear what I am.
    I also fear really long, redunant lists, but suprisingly that phobia wasn't on there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?