Listening to Air Traffic Control (ATC) with my phone

In summary: ATC.In summary, a normal mobile phone cannot receive the frequency that ATC uses, which is called VHF. A cell phone app may be able to pick up some public safety channels, but you would need a radio receiver to pick up the frequencies and an antenna to help receive the signal.
Vicara
As an airplane lover, I would like to know if a normal mobile phone (in my case a Galaxy S3 ) could recive the frequency that ATC uses, I think that is called VHF.
Note: I'm sure that it isn't illegal

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your phone is designed to communicate in the Gigahertz range (~1 or more billion cycles per second). Airbands are around 1/10 that (100 to 150 megahertz, on the order of 100 million cycles per sec.). You would need a tuner that can pick up the desired frequencies, and most likely an antenna to help pick up the signal. Cell phones only have to transmit/receive to the nearest tower, while aircraft radios will transmit for much longer distances, so a larger antenna is needed to help "capture" the small signal strength.
Some phones have a built in FM radio tuner, which operates at around 100 megahertz, but usually requires you to use your headphones - it uses the wiring in your headphones as an antenna.
http://www.smeter.net/spectrum/aviation.php

Likes berkeman
Vicara said:
As an airplane lover, I would like to know if a normal mobile phone (in my case a Galaxy S3 ) could recive the frequency that ATC uses, I think that is called VHF.
Note: I'm sure that it isn't illegal
There are cellphone apps for listening to many public safety channels (like to police dispatch channels). Have you tried looking in the App Store?

scottdave said:
You would need a tuner that can pick up the desired frequencies, and most likely an antenna to help pick up the signal.
Can I use normal headphones to listen that frequencies or I need some special hardware?
And do you know any way (an App or something) to tune it?

berkeman said:

I´ve seen this web before but I didn´t use it because it uses internet (and I don't have a very fast conexion) and mainly because I live in a town with a small airport and it isn´t in this page

Vicara said:
Can I use normal headphones to listen that frequencies or I need some special hardware?
And do you know any way (an App or something) to tune it?
Headphones are just headphones - they aren't the issue. You need a radio receiver that can receive the appropriate frequencies. A cell phone does not have one.

Vicara said:

that's designed for a laptop or desktop PC ... as you can see it is a full sized USB
the unit gets it 5V power from the computer ... most fones that I am aware of will not supply power out of their USB port
and they are also a "dumb" port primarily for data transfer and not for controlling USB devices

You would have to check to find out if you S3 can overcome both those issues before proceeding furtherDave

Hi Dave
In a web page they recommend this antena with a usb adapter connected to a battery

russ_watters said:
Headphones are just headphones - they aren't the issue. You need a radio receiver that can receive the appropriate frequencies. A cell phone does not have one.
That is the main issue here. Buy a scanner off eBay if you want to listen to the Analogue radio communications. Since the 'really interesting' services went digital, there is less of the important information obtainable for the casual rubber-necker.

sophiecentaur said:
That is the main issue here. Buy a scanner off eBay if you want to listen to the Analogue radio communications. Since the 'really interesting' services went digital, there is less of the important information obtainable for the casual rubber-necker.
So i need to modify a normal radio?

Vicara said:
So i need to modify a normal radio?
If you have to ask that question, I'd say "No chance". There is no limit to what a determined electronics project enthusiast can achieve but there is no convenient way to modify a 'normal radio' to receive signals on a different band and with possibly a different modulation system. I was looking on eBay and you can buy a s/h radio scanner for $40. That's the way to go if you want a result.
PS this is no insult to you. Many brain surgeons and rocket scientists struggle with amateur radio projects. :wink:

Likes krater and berkeman
In some countries like the UK it's illegal to listen to ATC.

http://nats.aero/blog/2015/04/atc-misconceptions/

It is illegal under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 to listen to anything other than general reception transmissions unless you are either a licensed user of the frequencies in question or have been specifically authorised to do so by a designated person.

PS: I don't think anyone has ever been prosecuted in the UK for doing so.

CWatters said:

Huh, weird. I wonder what the reason for that is. AFAIK, it's fine to listen to voice transmissions that aren't encrypted in the US. Certainly unlicensed folks are able to listen to HAM radio traffic -- you just need the license to be able to transmit.

I imagine that the trunced and digital transmissions may have some rules about listening, that the Scanner manufacturers have to deal with (or skirt around)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunked_radio_system

What is soposed to be "general reception transmisions"? Because in my opinion, a radio signal that is not encrypted or protected by any security is a general reception transmision hahahaha

Last edited:
Vicara said:
What is soposed to be "general reception transmisions"? Because in my opinion, a radio signal that is not encrypted or protected by any security is a general reception transmision hahahaha
The terms of the UK Broadcast Radio Licence (free for the last few decades, I think) was always that it allowed you to listen to 'Broadcast Radio Transmissions', (BBC and independent radio broadcasters) which didn't include Point to Point Communications transmissions. It has changed over the years but the only way you could be held to account if you were to 'take action' as a result of information received on the communications channels. Since the police and security services started using digitally encrypted channels, no one would be at all interested in people listening to what's available on analogue channels.

sophiecentaur said:
The terms of the UK Broadcast Radio Licence (free for the last few decades, I think) was always that it allowed you to listen to 'Broadcast Radio Transmissions', (BBC and independent radio broadcasters) which didn't include Point to Point Communications transmissions. It has changed over the years but the only way you could be held to account if you were to 'take action' as a result of information received on the communications channels. Since the police and security services started using digitally encrypted channels, no one would be at all interested in people listening to what's available on analogue channels.
Uhh. Anyway, I don't live in UK

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
there is no convenient way to modify a 'normal radio' to receive signals on a different band and with possibly a different modulation system.

Likes Merlin3189
That's amazing. He spreads out the turns on a coil and the mechanical range of the control seems to change.
But, seriously, is that "convenient" for someone who has never taken the back of a receiver? You'd need to be able to identify all the parts he refers to, whatever the layout of your particular set. That guy clearly knows his way around and, as I already said "There is no limit to what a determined electronics project enthusiast can achieve". Good fun and impressive to watch but it spells almost certain death of an old FM radio at the hands of a beginner.

Likes Vicara
CWatters said:

PS: I don't think anyone has ever been prosecuted in the UK for doing so.
I had to laugh at some of those points

4. Air traffic control centres and towers are like financial trading floors
Contrary to the belief that controllers spend their days screaming and shouting like traders in Wall Street, centres and towers are calm and controllers always keep their cool – especially in emergencies. Air traffic control is not a stressful job thanks to the extensive training and the aptitudes and attitudes of the controllers themselves.

this is total crap
it's one of the highest stress jobs on the planet
I have had friends in that game and they made that point quite clear

from Wiki ...

Air traffic control is a highly demanding job which requires high levels of responsibility with inherent stress due to its nature and the complexity of tasks involved. Just like the flight crews who work in an intensive, stressful environment, air traffic controllers are considered the aviation professionals who face very high levels of stress.

Sources of Stress in ATM
The most common sources of stress reported by air traffic controllers are connected with both operational aspects and internal organisational structures.

Sources of stress related to the operational aspects (list not intended to be comprehensive):

• Peaks of traffic load
  • Time deficit
  • Operational procedures (often limited and need to be adapted)
  • Limitation and reliability of equipment
  • Abnormal/Emergency Situations
Sources of stress related to organisational aspects (not comprehensive):

• Shift schedules (night work in particular)
  • Management
  • Role conflicts
  • Unfavourable working conditions

http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/pu...afework/documents/publication/wcms_118241.pdf

http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/pu...afework/documents/publication/wcms_250120.pdfthere's site after site of information on the stress problems with ATC

Likes berkeman

1. How can I listen to Air Traffic Control with my phone?

To listen to Air Traffic Control (ATC) with your phone, you will need to download an aviation radio app. These apps allow you to tune into specific frequencies used by ATC. Some popular apps include LiveATC and ATC Radio Simulator.

2. Is it legal to listen to Air Traffic Control with my phone?

Yes, it is legal to listen to Air Traffic Control with your phone. In fact, many aviation enthusiasts use this as a way to stay updated on flight information and learn more about the aviation industry.

3. Can I listen to Air Traffic Control from any location?

Yes, you can listen to Air Traffic Control from any location as long as you have a stable internet connection. Some apps may also require you to be within a certain range of an airport to tune into their frequencies.

4. Will listening to Air Traffic Control with my phone interfere with the communication between pilots and ATC?

No, listening to Air Traffic Control with your phone will not interfere with the communication between pilots and ATC. The app only allows you to listen to the communication and does not have the capability to transmit any signals.

5. Are there any costs associated with listening to Air Traffic Control with my phone?

Most aviation radio apps are free to download, but some may have in-app purchases for additional features. However, once you have the app, there are no additional costs to listen to ATC frequencies.