Plotting 0.3 on ListPlot with Variable Domain

In summary, ListPlot is a function in Mathematica that creates a plot of data points from a given list or table. The domain, or range of values, for the data can be specified as a variable, allowing for more flexibility in the plot. When plotting the value 0.3 on ListPlot, the data point will be placed at the corresponding location on the plot, which can help visualize patterns or trends in the data.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I type the following into Mathematica:

domain = -10;
ListPlot[{0.3}, PlotMarkers -> {{"\[LongDash]", Large}},
PlotRange -> {{0, 5.5}, {-10, 200}}]

And notice we see the plot 0.3. But, now let domain = 0. Notice now we can't see 0.3. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why the value of domain would play a role here. I get the same result in both cases.

DrClaude said:
I don't see why the value of domain would play a role here. I get the same result in both cases.
Are you using 11.3? Also, I misspoke: I said domain but I meant range.

1. How do I plot 0.3 on ListPlot with a variable domain?

To plot 0.3 on ListPlot with a variable domain, you will first need to define your domain as a list of values or a range. Then, use the ListPlot function and specify the data point (0.3) as the y-value and the domain as the x-values. This will create a plot with a data point at y=0.3 for each x-value in your domain.

2. Can I use a non-numeric domain for ListPlot?

Yes, ListPlot can handle both numeric and non-numeric domains. However, if your domain is non-numeric (e.g. a list of strings), the x-axis will not be a continuous scale but rather a categorical one. You can still plot 0.3 on this type of plot, but it will be represented as a data point at a specific category rather than a point on a continuous scale.

3. How do I customize the appearance of my ListPlot?

ListPlot has many customizable options to change the appearance of your plot. Some examples include changing the color and shape of data points, adding a legend, and adjusting the axes and labels. You can refer to the documentation for a full list of available options and how to use them.

4. Can I plot multiple data points at once on ListPlot?

Yes, you can plot multiple data points on ListPlot by specifying multiple x-values and y-values in the form of lists. For example, if you want to plot the points (0.3, 0.5) and (0.7, 0.9), you would specify the x-values as {0.3, 0.7} and the y-values as {0.5, 0.9}. This will create a plot with two data points at the specified coordinates.

5. How can I save my ListPlot as an image or export it to a file?

To save your ListPlot as an image, you can use the Export function and specify the desired file format (e.g. PNG, JPEG, PDF). This will create a file with your plot that can be opened and viewed outside of your coding environment. You can also use the Save As option in most coding platforms to save your plot as an image or other file type.