Literature database?

• Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
I know about arxiv.org for natural science (is that the right term?) and pubmed for medical science. Is there a similar site for literature and the more softer "sciences"? :)

Answers and Replies

Have you tried https://archive.org/
Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.

But besides that, I guess it would be Amazon.com

There are actually many such databases, but not all that easily accessible from the open internet. I would speak to an academic research librarian for further assistance, assuming you have access to a decent university library.

You can find a whole lot of papers accessible from Academia.edu although note that this is a commercial service. It will try to upsell you on its deluxe paid service, but the freely accessible options will still get you a whole lot of papers, as well as (if desired) email suggestions based on what you read and download.

diogenesNY

Likes Astronuc and sbrothy
Have you tried https://archive.org/
Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.

But besides that, I guess it would be Amazon.com

As I wrote, I know about arxiv.org. What I mean, though, is that arxiv doesn't contain much in the way of soft science. I'd like a similar place to go to for that.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
What I mean, though, is that arxiv doesn't contain much in the way of soft science.

At least, not that admits it. :wink:

Likes Astronuc and sbrothy
As I wrote, I know about arxiv.org. What I mean, though, is that arxiv doesn't contain much in the way of soft science. I'd like a similar place to go to for that.
But they're not the same.

I know about arxiv.org for natural science (is that the right term?) and pubmed for medical science. Is there a similar site for literature and the more softer "sciences"? :)
It's been a while, I know, but at the time i would have been happy with just this list. My own bad ofcourse. I could afterall just have searched wiki more thoroughly.

List of preprint sites.

i especially like

psyarxiv.org

in there. :)

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
But they're not the same.
Oh. Sorry I only now saw the different spelling. A year later no less. It's ofcourse because I read arxiv just like archive (as you're supposed to with the Greek Chi in There. (Incidentally, It's the same thing with LaTeX yes?).

To my shame I've discreetly giggled (or even snickered) under my breath when people who appearently read more (or perhaps even less) than they discuss pronounce it "arksiv". To my disgrace I admit it makes me a somewhat nerdy, seedy, smug and obnoxioux litlle know-it-all prat which not much to show for myself. :/

In my defense I meet my share of people trying to show off. Last time it was a person who told us he was studying chemistry with an emphasis on drug manufacture. When I fund out he didn't know who Shulgin was the conversation deteriorated pretty quickly.

It's not like a physicst who never heard about Einstein, but It's up there. ..

Regards.

BWV